• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Where can I find a long shallow tank (U.K.)?

Furgan

I am looking for a long shallow tank, any idea if there are any in the U.K., or do I need to go down the route of getting one made or making it myself?
Possibly a 5x1x1 foot tank

castle

You'll need to get that made I think, clrearseal had a similar 3*1*1 unsure if that exists now.

Ada dropped their larger shallows.

Aquariums 4 life have done good work for me in the past. Rimless, I think you can get away with 8mm.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Rimless, I think you can get away with 8mm.
Should be plenty thick, even with the 5' length of glass you have very little water depth, so little internal pressure on the glass.

cheers Darrel

castle

@dw1305 Yep, thickness of 8mm is for my preferred safety rating and as little deformation over length as possible. You could have 6mm for sure, but I think you'd have a noticable bow at that point.

I have this pressure chart in google drive, haven't used it in a while but I think it's correct (taken from a source online, to be used by me again and again).

Last edited:

castle

Hi all,

I think 8 mm glass is a good idea, and even then I would have a central brace on a really long tank.

cheers Darrel

Aesthetics fail here for me, I'd sooner have a metal frame than a central brace.

I'm planning to knock through into a garage for a "viewing room/library" for a 2.8x0.6x0.4m sized tank. Even at such a low depth, I'd need 20mm glass for approx 0.02mm deformation. 20mm does give quite a large surface area for silicone, however calculating the actual force scares me, and I'm thinking of going to about 50cm, and having a custom stainless steel cage made. A journal for this, one day.