• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where does pest / bladder snails lay their eggs? (trying to avoid their spread)

ybvs.a

G'day and thank you all for your posts on this amazing forum! / an-almost-daily-lurker :)

I'm in the planning stages of rescaping my 60p aquarium. As of now it is "infested" by what I guess are bladder snails. During this rescape I'm also going to upgrade my filter (Oase Filtosmart 200 => Biomaster 350).
I currently have two wishes for this rescape;
1. I would love for the snails to go away for good
2. I would love to have the smoothest start possible

So, my first thought was to reuse some old aquasoil and biological filter media in order to work in accordance with point no. 2 above. But, as you probably would've guessed by now, this is being counteracted by point no. 1.

TLDR/My questions:
1. Will I be able to use the old filter media without risking a snail infestation on my new scape? My guess is "no" (I've caught a few fullgrown snails during filter maintenance) but I'd love to hear your thoughts anyhow.
2. My main priority is to use some old aquasoil as a bottom layer. In my current scape I've got sort of a half circle of stones (arranged as an island) which is fixed with foam against the back of the aquarium glass. Meaning all the soil is in a "pot" within the aquarium. I'm thinking about using aquasoil from the deeper parts (roughly 15-20 cm deep. Is there a high risk of snail eggs within the deeper layers or do they generally lay their eggs on visible surfaces?

Tiny subject -lots of questions. I will manage fine either way but these questions have been living rent free in my head for the past couple of weeks and I'd love hear your thoughts on them :)

1. I would love for the snails to go away for good
So, my first thought was to reuse some old aquasoil and biological filter media in order to work in accordance with point no. 2 above. But, as you probably would've guessed by now, this is being counteracted by point no. 1.
1. Will I be able to use the old filter media without risking a snail infestation on my new scape? My guess is "no" (I've caught a few fullgrown snails during filter maintenance) but I'd love to hear your thoughts anyhow.
You have answered your question really. There is absolutely no way you can guarantee a free snail tank if you are reusing either old soil, media and plants you already had since snails lay their eggs on plants and you can have very small hatched babies in the substrate and living in the canister.
If you really want to assure you have no snail you would need to start from scratch or do a chemical treatment. The latter is not a guarantee you will end up with 0 snails. There is another way and that is to introduce Clea Anentome helena snails (aka assasin snails) which with time, will eradicate other snails. These snails don't reproduce anywhere near as fast or are as prolific as other snails so it's easier to remove them manually.

Snails are not "magical" creatures (apart from maybe Elysia chlorotica), you'll get the as many as you give food to. Bladder snails feed on leftover fishfood, decomposing leaves, algae etc., reduce these and you'll reduce the snail population.
There is another way and that is to introduce Clea Anentome helena snails (aka assasin snails) which with time, will eradicate other snails
The problem with this is that it replaces one of the best tank janitors out there with a species that'll ignore algae, and instead help itself to any fish eggs (and possibly shrimp). It's a bit weird, on the saltwater side of the hobby people try to keep as many beneficial organisms as possible (snails, limpets, amphipods, brittle stars, ...), while on the freshwater side anything that we hasn't put in the tank is often seen as dangerous or unsightly, and in need of removal.

The problem with this is that it replaces one of the best tank janitors out there with a species that'll ignore algae, and instead help itself to any fish eggs (and possibly shrimp). It's a bit weird, on the saltwater side of the hobby people try to keep as many beneficial organisms as possible (snails, limpets, amphipods, brittle stars, ...), while on the freshwater side anything that we hasn't put in the tank is often seen as dangerous or unsightly, and in need of removal.
I'm not here to judge on the motives of the OP so I provide options since that's what the OP wants. But I fully agree with the above.

Last edited:
Hi all,
As of now it is "infested" by what I guess are bladder snails.
<"Get away with you">, they <"are very useful in the tank">. The lay horse-shoe shaped eggs masses, often on the glass, but there will always be some you can't find.
<"Tank janitor fan"> as well. I'd like to think attitudes are changing, but if people do go down a more wholistic route then a whole range of <"Aquarium products"> become redundant.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I cant really call bladder snails pests as they are a fantastic addition to anyone wanting a good balanced aquarium. If you have an infestation maybe cut back on the food, and keep it tidy?

If you want a controlled smooth start you have to begin from scratch i think then be fussy on removing anything that will hitchhike on plants etc.

Back