• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where is the best/cheapest place to get brine shrimp eggs?

Steve Smith

As title, anyone recommend a good cheap place to get brine shrimp eggs? Looking at the prices on eBay they seem to be worth a few quid :bored:

This auction seems to be reasonable value, but I was wondering if they can be had for cheaper? (I would need salt too).

Check out ebay, got some there before really cheap and hattached pretty well, I am just to lazy to hatch them!
Might still have a bag full, i will see if I can find it, if so I will send it to you.

Thaks a lot london :)

Been watching some on ebay. The lot I'm currently hatching don't seem to be hatching yet... getting on for 30 hours or so... Still holding my hopes out though :)

Thought I'd bring this up rather than starting a new thread.
I treat my new fish some live brine shrimp for the first time, they loved the stuff. Although the £1 bag didn't last long with them lot and it'll be expensive to buy them that all the time.
How often do you feed with brine shrimp to fish and which kit should I get, go DIY or just get a kit? If it's a kit, which one's best (I've seen the NT Labs one a lot)?
I just didn't think my CPDs would go for them but they lapped it up and I've only done frozen or dried food previously.
Any top tips on growing them?

I've got a professional cone (that cost over £30) and also a Pop bottle convertor (on the page with Brine Shrimp eggs on http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/) and to be honest for the money you're better with the latter. I'll be ordering a couple more when I place my next order of Brine shrimp eggs and other stuff. Just cut the bottom off a pop bottle and screw it into the stand. They even come with a couple of puches of eggs and airline.

Artemia are excellent food for all fish, even big ones you think wouldn't be interested. My pair of wild angels go mad for them, as do Corydoras! I am feeding mine them daily at the moment as I've got killi fry that are being fed with them and it's as easy to hatch a full batch as only a few.

Best tips I ever had for using them is to get good eggs and keep them sealed up and refridgerated (I have a big pouch of eggs that I put a small amount of into an airtight container - then I'm not constantly exposing all the eggs to the air - and keep that small container in the fridge). Also get a good brine shrimp sieve or net, personally I like the sieves. Turn the air off and leave to settle then simply syphon the artemia into the sieve, leaving the unhatched eggs at the bottom and the hatched shells floating at the top. Then simply feed them to your fish! You can also use the fact that they are attracted to light to draw them up away from the bottom of the container too.

Superman said:
Thanks Ed will have a look at that link.
Wish brand/type is the best?

Do you mean brand of Brine Shrimp? I am currently using the Siberian ones from Tim and they are very good quality. I buy them by the pouch and keep the pouch sealed in the fridge.

If you mean seives then look on Tim's site - he only stocks decent gear and the ones he has look better than the little one I have - I'm debating whether to get one of his type too.

Superman said:
I ordered a pop bottle converter, sieve and some eggs yesterday from TA-Aquaculture UK
They arrived this morning! Well impressed, will have to give them a go when my air pump arrives.

Don't forget to keep your brine shrimps eggs in an air-tight container (if you ordered the pouch of Siberian eggs then it's easy to fold it over and use a clip to seal it up) in the fridge. The cold and the lack of oxygen means they will keep and deliver good hatches for ages. Mine current pouch is over a year old and still producing excellent hatches - you don't get that with poor quality eggs!

Yeah like dust aren't they?! Great food though - speaking of which I must go and harvest today's batch and feed my fish!

They just need some light Clark, they won't hatch if kept in complete darkness. Mine only get room lighting, no extra lamp needed. When you separate them you can use their attraction to light though to help. If you turn off the air the shells float to the top and the unhatched eggs and shrimp usually collect at the bottom. Drain them out into a glass jug or jar and leave them facing a light or window. The shrimp will collect at the bottom nearest the light so you can easily syphon them off into the strainer.

BTW I've found that hobby strainer lets a few shrimp through so don't just chuck the strained water away but pass it through the sieve again.

As long as there's daylight in there it'll be fine Clark. Just don't let them get too cold as that will mean they'll take ages to hatch. At 25 degrees they'll hatch in 18-24 hours.

Back