• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where The Jungle "Destroys" Red Rock Creek..

zozo

Actualy i have no idea how the categorize this in our hobby terms.. Is it a Paludarium a riparium an aquarium?
It is something but i realy don't know. I leave it up to you if you have suggestion, i will add the winning term to the title.

Anyway the making off the tank itself you can find <here>

DSC_0518.JPG

Dimension: approximately - 124cm x 32cm x 21cm
Hardscape material: Fosillized wood, not the typical one but sourced privately and dug up by a hobby fossil collecter somewhere in the dark outbacks of Germany.
Substrate: In the creek area submersed - Seachem flourite Dark
Base substrate for the emersed parts: Crushed Lava Rock to create the banking, in the baskets an Alfagrog type.
Capping substrate for the emersed parts: Not yet desided..

Filter: 300l/h Resun Hang on the back.
Lights: Her comes the sun.. :) Thus natural light only.
Heating: Non

Plants: For now i can only say South/Central - American bog plants and a few terrestrials, will update the list later on the fly. Definitively a drystart.
Lifestock: Shrimps and snails.. Fish i yet not desided on, depends on how stable it runs in the future. And yet i do not know it's true water volume in the end.. Free swimming space will be around 10 to 20 litres estimate. Maybe small Corydoras sp. and or Otocinclus and or Ember Tetra. But for now i don't think i will hold fish in here.

Seen from above:
DSC_0516.JPG

Detail on the filter tube feeding the hob. Did test run it on 300l/h without the drain holes and it ran like a charm. Drilled in the extra drain holes, it probably is going to function a small part as UGFilter embeded in lava rocks. The top of the tube sticking out of the substrate is also coated in the dust from the crushed lava. Later on likely covered in moss as well.
DSC_0511.JPG

Left side, the steep cliff side.. After it is flooded there will be a small water lily planted in the corner where the 2 big rocks meet. I'm yet not sure but i think that will be the only aqautic plant totaly submersed. For the rest it will be some trailing marginal plants hanging over the rocks.
DSC_0513.JPG

Finding that Seachem Flourite Dark in my country realy was a treat.. I've searched for days for other alternatives. Was rather getting frustrated, nothing out there, than by chance i found 1 shop in the entire country selling seachem flourite. Never seen it before, had to choose between black and dark.. Took my chances and ordered the Dark.. Was a lucky shot. I don't think black would have looked beter. What do you think?

DSC_0517.JPG

No carpet plants in the submersed substate as you would expect to see in a creek in nature. Only mosses on the rocks.
DSC_0515.JPG

Still far from done, have some more little and medium sized rocks left and still might add some other hardscape details in the creek. Any suggestions on improvement on details in the middle are more than welcom.

I have one little dilemma i need some advice and suggestions about.. :) I can't realy deside what to use as capping substrate to fill up the sides and top off the lava rock.

Should i go Inert with a fine black lava bases gravel or should i go Organic peaty pond soil? Or should i mix in both?

What do you guys think? What should i cap it with?

SInce it's going to be very plant heavy and dry starting i'm leaning towards Organic soil.. :)
And still need ti fill in an extra bag of crushed lava around the baskets. I'm not realy expecting anaerobic pockets in the deep layer substrate. The soil will only fill up the spaces between the lava rocks at the glass as much as possible. Probaly with a lot of free space between it in the middle only holding water. I guess shrimp fry can and will get into that cave labirynth.

Another question i yet can't deside about.. Should i cover the back panel in black foil?
To be continued: :)

Attachments

• DSC_0512.JPG
    DSC_0512.JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0514.JPG
    DSC_0514.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0519.JPG
    DSC_0519.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Very cool! I think dark rather than black was spot on for substrate - looks like a good colour match for the rock and that makes it look much more natural. For the same reason I'd be inclined to hold off on covering the back in solid black - you might want to go for something dark brown or off black i.e. more murky stream coloured. I've some brown paper behind mine at the moment set about 4" back from the tank (on the wall behind rather than the tank) and I like how the rooms ambient light gives it a gradient. Black does make plants pop but it's not very natural.

Some leaf litter/twigs might be a good way of adding more fine detail to the centre?

hold off on covering the back in solid black, you might want to go for something dark brown or off black i.e. more murky stream coloured

I think you are correct.. :)

At the other end of the room i have my asian themed slow burner.. There i simply painted the wall behind the tank in a Old English Wood and Wall Blueish Black, chalk paint. And that looks great but it's different larger dimension..

Here i could do the same, but i'm reluctant to paint the entire wall in this dark color. Might only do a big enough circle to contrast only the submersed part.

Thanls for the inspiration.. :) :thumbup:

Some details on the way it is going to be filtered. :)
DSC_0524.JPG

I've tested it in another tank, filter is rated 300l/h and the pipe is sufficient to feed it.
DSC_0525.JPG

Only had to create a little acrylic extension to clamp to the glass and lift the filter a bit higher.
DSC_0527.JPG

Later on all will be hidden behind the plants anyway..

Nice is, it all stands in front of the sofa.. It's a nice way to get down on it lay there watching and thinking how to procede. It's very relaxing. :) No hurries..
Did try to create some depth into the scaped stream part with small details.. All the way in the back right there are 2 stones covering the filter inlet. Behind it is a small cave and the gaps between the stones are big enough for the water to pass.
DSC_0529.JPG

Also made a decision on the banked up capping.. It's going to be a black lava source gravel.. Choose lava source because of it's porousity and thus plant roots will attach to it. Than it will be one firm mass once all is grown in. Also going to mix in 15% special Hummus Rich Depot Mix to benefit the plants.That will be 1,5L depot mix on 10L substrate. It's ordered but in delay because of carnival holidays..

Did some resourcing on Window Sill hardy Echinodorus sp. that do well summer and winter indoors. There are not many the majority withers away in the winter periode.. But i found and ordered a few that reportedly do good indoors all year long..

The E. regine Hildebrandt actualy a very beautifull Hybrid..
image.jpg

And E. Cordifolius, rather a big boy for the back ground.
echinodorus-cordifolius-52b56e1c41ba5.jpg

Both should do fine indoors as emersed Echinodorus.. I hope..

Found an Alternanthera reineckii "sessilis" ready nursed and solled as seasonal outdoor pondplant.
If it's good for that it's good for indoors too.
T323wf-1.jpg

Other plants on my wishlist.. For now mainly grassy plants..
Cyperus Haspans - Mexican Dwarf Cyperus.
Juncuns repens
Sagitarria subulata
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

More to come i yet not 100% decided on.

:)

It's slowly getting shape, right hand side is about done.. :) Maybe change some minor details along the way. As we all know scapping is work with what you got and a long process sometimes to see what changes need to be made.

DSC_0532.JPG

I underastimated the amount of soil neede to fill all this up. Have non left to go on with the left side, need to run to the lfs again to buy a bag of gravel.

Now in the picture i see the left hand light colored rock needs to be gone.. :) In the back ground its the Cyperus haspans already displayed with the resident tiger inspecting it.. Cyperus after all is Cat Grass, he's already helping me to trim it..
DSC_0536.JPG

How and if the little down stream from the HOB will work i don't know yet. It needs a flood for that.. But the idea is already there.
DSC_0538.JPG

Some Echinodorus sp. that go in there The rest around it is going to be completely carpeted with grassy plant sp. From taller in the back to low growing in the front. At the rocks edge i'll think i plant some MC trailng over and softening the rocks edges. Later on likely also growing out of the nooks and crannies. All looks a bit rough and harsh now.
DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG

At the top i might add a flowring stem plants as well. Get some red ones in there..
DSC_0547.JPG

Have to wait till medio month May for the outdoor pond plants to arrive in the pond shop.. Than see what South American tropicals are available this year.

The left side will be the Fern side, whit some wet feet loving terrestrials.. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0544.JPG
    DSC_0544.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 135
Really really REALLY love the way this is going!

Would be interested in what pond plants you find. I’ve found some of them are £3 for a massive pot, then the aquatic version is £6 for a tiny pot!

My tank is ready to set up now but the house is up for sale and would be daft to set up then move!

Gonna let you set this one up so I can steal ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.. :)

Would be interested in what pond plants you find. I’ve found some of them are £3 for a massive pot, then the aquatic version is £6 for a tiny pot!

Previous years i saw various Eleocharis sp. such as E. acicularis and E. parvula, various Lilaeopsis sp. brasiliensis is always available. Myriophyllum brasiliensis. Various Hydrocotyl sp. Gratiola sp. Hygrophila sp. All transitioned to grow seasonaly outdoors and indeed rather large dirted pots all less than € 5,- :) At some online pond plant suppliers even more can be found. It's depends on which nursery supplies the shops. It saves a lot of weeks transitioning plants myself.. But i have to wait till month may and june for the pond shop to be fully equipt, the shop i go displays all these plant outdoors and they have a huge collection. I'll take some pics when i go. :)

Here are some online pics from this shop.
576572-7239-groot.jpg

3 of those tables bursting with pond plants.
1773059884-Merakal-BV_572973_large.jpg

Than i have 2 other shops nearby as well. With a slight different collection.. :)

Gonna let you set this one up so I can steal ideas!

You're welcomme! :) I always say, Rather a good nick than a bad invention.. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I realy wanted a litle stream cascading down from the HOB.. And the way i did it, it didn't, the porous lava just soaked all up and it drained straight down into the substrate. I thought if it looks like a stream it shoud stream..

Thus pond foil to the rescue.. :) Brushed a ditch out of the gravel.. Laid in a strip of pond foil and pushed it in the ditch
DSC_0548.JPG

And covered it up again.. It's all lava rock, thus plants and mosses etc will ready attach to it, grow over it and secure all in place.. The foil will never be seens.
DSC_0549.JPG

Now the water will cascade down and have a gutter to follow.. :thumbup: It wont be a massive splashing flow with 300l/h. :)

Looks like a well stocked shop.
It'd be nice to watch a video of it planted and up and running with water moving down the little gully you've created.

Nice project,
Looked where the shop is at cause it looks good 2h and 20 min drive.. It's cheaper ordering online for me or go local. :)
Thanks..

It's still one of thos odd shops with lots of new old stock from forgoten times. Little DIY pieces other shops don't even bother to have in stock or probably not in production any longer in the pet industry. These are shells looking like a bom exploded in it, than you have to estimate probable location, dig and find. Realy love it. :cool: Only negative review i have is the fish keeping also still is in era 1970's.. Not good...

It'd be nice to watch a video of it planted and up and running with water moving down the little gully you've created.
That be the next one. The tripod than and see if i can do some editing. That bumpy ride above is a awfull roeler coaster of a video.

But it also need one test fill just to see where i'm at. Tha i also test run the hob over the gully.. Also because the substrate needs to sink in.. I guess there are still a lot of sink holes in the lava rocks i used as a base. And need some recapping here and there after the first flood and dran. And than all is properly soaked for the start up.. :)

Now that was a short break.. Couldn't resist getting on with it.. :) And fill up the left side..

In total 18 kilo of crushed filter lava, 20 kilo of mouled lava gravel and 5 kilo of rounded silica gravel and a bit less than a kilo Depot Fert mix went in there to complete the job..

For so far the scaping part is done.. Absolutely no turning back except changing some minor details.
DSC_0563.JPG

Now it actualy needs one test flood.. Just to see where i'm at with the total water volume.. Already threw in about 6 to 7 litres of water to presoak the substrate at least a bit. If i keep doing it like that for a periode i loose track and can only estimate the true volume.

With flooding i'm at risk that the fine gravel sinks deeper into the nooks and cranies still open between the lava chunks and create siinkholes. or wait till all plants are properly rooted, but that will take at least a few months.. Little dilema, test flood or wait? I'll sleep a night over it. But feel like flooding just out of curiousity how it will look. :)

Plant salready in there at the left side Thelypteris palustris fern i overwintered indoors on a chuck of DW. A syngonium.. The Begonia maculata.. Creeping jenny. And some Cyperus haspans. More to come, at least a few more ferns definitively a maiden hair.
DSC_0564.JPG

I guess some of you recognize this piece of DW.. It stood in the garden bathtub for a few years growing mosses. Couldn't resist, now its in here.
DSC_0565.JPG

The big chunk of red rock pops out like mad as a centre piece.. Still a bit much into your face.. But the maiden hair is going on top with some mosses growing to it.. And it has a pretty rough structure, hard to see on picture.. I'll plant some HC to it at the water surface and try to grow it semi submersed.
DSC_0566.JPG

Some still young and small shoots from the Cyperus haspans around the hob filter.. Didn't have to much soil there to place bigger plants. That needs time to grow some body on its own.
DSC_0568.JPG

The 2 Echinodorus regine hildebrandt are still in the pots.. They have been in the propagator for a week, so not sure if they are ready to be planted yet. Keep them a while in the pot in there to see how they cope with it. But they seem to be pretty hardy.. The other two E. cordifolius and E. palifolius are still in the propagator and definitively in need of slower transition
DSC_0573.JPG

Anyway, now i need at least to wait 2 months before pond plants are available.. :) But it gives me time to transition plants that i need to by from the lfs. Thinking of HC and MC, juncuns repens, sagitaria subulata and helanthium tenellus and others i've not yet decided on.

But also thinking of some Myriophyllum sp. and plant it in the water part in the background growing from behind the big rock. In the triangular corner in the mid, there will be a small lily..
DSC_0574.JPG

Fron the other side MC will trail over the rocks growing seme submersed. The cave showing at the right hand side will stay a cave..
DSC_0575.JPG

All and all, looking and thinking.. I think it also needs a light for the winter periode... But thats something a can think an intire summer about how to fis that..
DSC_0570.JPG

Now my hands are tight and have to wait on the plants.. :) nothing much else to report.. Only if i do a test flood, than i also take some pics and post them. :nailbiting:

:thumbup:

Attachments

• DSC_0569.JPG
    DSC_0569.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 120
Back