• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where The Jungle "Destroys" Red Rock Creek..

What species is this lily? :)

This one...
10-15-52-jpg.jpg

But then a very small cutting from its rhizome... That way it stays very small for a few years depending on fertilization and light cycle... This actually goes for any lily sp. with a Marliac or Tuberosa rhizome. Cut off a small young plantlet from it's rhizome and plant it in a tank with a clay cone added.

But if you are interested in this specific sp. It's this one sold at Ebay from a German nursery. :)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zwergseeros...111793?hash=item1c46b157f1:g:gggAAOSwQItUIyO0

And this, when it flowered indoors. 🥰 I'm still in love...
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/i-think-i-am-in-love.37099/

What species is this lily? :)

Almost forgot this picture, to give you an example of how to cut a rhizome to get to a lily that stays mini for very
long. :) The root growth you see is about 2 weeks after cutting and replanting. Any small to medium size pond lily will do...

dscf8265-jpg.103759

A rhizome that small can never grow a big plant of course... Takes some time for the rhizome that size to get fat again...

Last picture isn't working for me @zozo, but these replies are worth a golden star.

Thanks!

And a small update on this Fossarium... ;) As you can see the Cyperus goes mental at the window.
IMG_20201210_125153651.jpg

The rest at the far side from the window is a lot slower, evidence how important light is and how light-sensitive plants are. Because they have equal potential but stay behind a simple 3 feet further away from the strongest light source.
IMG_20201210_125230938.jpg

The liverwort moss at the window side also is unstoppable, growing firm and dense thick and hard emerged crust and i have to trim it about every month. From the 4 species of Echinodurus in are only 2 taking hold and both are submerged. The one in view is the E. Uruguayensis. It refuses to pop the surface... The other 3 planted emerged are also still there but stay tiny and grow a tiny leaf then die a tiny leaf. This definitively is a light issue.
IMG_20201210_125244230.jpg

What baffles me again, is the Brazillian frogbit... Untill 2 months ago it grew like a champion for almost 2 years. And then suddenly it is slowly diminishing. I have very little left at the moment and no idea what's the cause...
IMG_20201210_125315145.jpg

All and all. Still going 💪 And in its 2nd winter... I guess this really is a multi-year project, now in rest waiting for next season to get stronger again.

The 10 Pygmaea Cories in it do very well... I'm thinking about adding 10 Nannostomus Marginatus... But I'm not really sure yet... It's a €60 investment I'm still pondering about i should do it or not?

Last edited:
Looking great. I'm surprised that cyperus is still standing as I can't see any roots spreading into the tank from it. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what's making your other plants struggle. @hitmanx has had similar problems with his beautiful celestial swamp.

With the pencilfish, I'd only consider getting them if you have plenty of line of sight breaks because although they are relatively peaceful fish, they can squabble and bully one another with plenty of cover. They can also be quite jumpy with sudden changes in lighting. I have mine living in a tank that gets plenty of natural light and in the summer they are fine but in the winter when it's dark outside and the lights go off, I occasionally hear one hitting the cover glass.

Looking great. I'm surprised that cyperus is still standing as I can't see any roots spreading into the tank from it.
They are but don't really grow out the substrate, but that thin layer of substrate in the submerged part is one dense root mat beneath it. I guess it's still standing because the base layer substrate at the banked up part mainly contains chunks of lava rock with just a few cm of fine gravel on top. Also from the side panels, it's 5mm fine gravel between glass and lava rocks. If you look closer to picture number 4, right side submerged, you see a red coloured root sticking out of the substrate. This is from the Cyperus, occasionally i cut one away and they are all over the place.

Actually never thought of it, that this cyperus is fert-hogging all other plants. Till now i did stick to EI regime... But I'll try some Osmocote root tabs for the other side. And see what it does.
With the pencilfish, They can also be quite jumpy

Ok! That's what I didn't know and what I don't need at € 5.50 per fish... I'll let it be...

Thanks!!

I have a monstera deliciosa growing out of my 120 liter tank and I'm starting to notice the reduced growth of my floating plants. It's a really low tech tank that gets direct sun most of the afternoon in the summer but I've never had any algae problems other than some slight cyano in the substrate. It now has 5 leaves that are 2x2ft across, plus some more emersed growing plants. I only have a dozen pencilfish in there, so not much natural fertiliser but I'm starting to heavily root tab now to see if it helps, plus ei dose a bit more.

Days are getting longer plants waking up and taking off again... Look at that monster Cyprus in the back...
IMG_20210226_121954898.jpg

This morning I did top off some evaporated water and meanwhile, I hear some water splashing from the back at the HOB filer... At first, I thought the filter is spilling water but a closer look revealed :nailbiting: This monster is ripping my tank apart!! :eek:

😂 Have a look at this gap!? I quickly had to rush taking 10 litres of water out again.
IMG_20210226_121810168.jpg

The roots from this Cyprus are pushing both panels outwards are ripping the sealant.
IMG_20210226_121915532.jpg

But I think I can still fix this, since it's the back corner I glue a Corner profile to it that's 30x30mm...

This is a first-timer for me having a plant rip a tank apart... 🥲 Lesson learned again, it's not only water volume we need to calculate to DIY a tank...

Ouch! 😣 Though I'm not surprised to be honest, that's a huge plant, and a lot of lateral pressure on the glass from the leaning stems.

Last edited:
Ouch! 😣 Though I'm not surprised to be honest
Me neither, I actually was looking at it and thinking about this a few months back already how this will end up, and hoping it had enough counter pressure to grow the other way. I already did ty it up with a cord against the floodlight to the wall to prevent it from hanging.. Too late damage already done obviously...

It was like a self-fulfilling prophecy... Not giving it a descent trim...

TEC7 to the rescue?... All i can do for now wait till it's cured and see if and how it holds.

IMG_20210227_142024963.jpg

Sealed a 3x3 alu profile to it with a busload of tec7 in between squeezed out at all ends... The duck tape is simply to create some pressure.
IMG_20210227_142036386.jpg

If this doesn't do it, then I, unfortunately, have to tear it down... :(

The leak got worse yesterday and this is all water left in it.. Fortunately enough for the shrimps and few cories in it to make it another day.
IMG_20210227_142214432.jpg

IMG_20210227_142131021.jpg

IMG_20210227_142138264.jpg

Wait and see is all we can do... I hope at least the fix works temporarily to buy me the time to build a new one, but then a tad stronger...

Now I'm off trimming that darn plant... 🤪

It looks good... :) The tank is filled again and no longer leaking...

Enjoying the afternoon sun...
IMG_20210228_142843143.jpg

I think this is not going to give in anymore... Not the most beautiful solution, but it seals and makes it stronger.
Good thing it's at the backside and in the corner of the room, not in direct view. But I'll keep an eye on it anyway...
IMG_20210228_142905599.jpg

Glad you, hopefully, have it sorted. Would be a shame to end such an interesting project.

Glad you, hopefully, have it sorted. Would be a shame to end such an interesting project.

I hope so too, but I have repaired a leaking tank in the past with the TEC7 sealant and did put it inside the tank over the old silicone and that was over 6 months ago, and it's still OK... But that was just a very tiny leak, not like this where the complete seal was gaping almost from top to bottom. Anyway, that TEC7 stuff is very good it also seems to bond very well to cured silicon.

Time will tell if water will seep through, if it does then I simply start over again with a new tank at the same spot in the same dimensions and design but build stronger.

But then without or maybe a much better maintained Cyperus papyrus, that actually was a sneak in from a seed I never intended to plant in the first place. But I kept it anyway with all consequences attached... Sometimes we learn lessons the hard way... :)

We put this on Instagram, and it proved quite popular ;)

We put this on Instagram, and it proved quite popular ;)

😂 and 70 loves (including my own) already... Seems people love tanks being destroyed, we should do this more often... 😁

I didn't know it was cyperus papyrus. For some reason I have it in my mind that that particular species needs more light than cyperus alternifolius, the more common species. So that's even more impressive a beast. I know you have mentioned before but to save my fingers, what direction is the window that illuminating it? Could be a fun to try and grow one but in a more conventional pot.

Back