• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

where to buy cheap standard tanks?

samc

hi all i am looking for a cheap 60cm tank (cheap because im skint) and wanted a braceless one. like the clearseal ones. Although these would be idea i am worried the won't be deep enough (back to front) as the only size they do are 24x12x12,does anyone know where i can buy one deeper?

You can't as best I know. Most coldseal tanks still adhere to traditional dimensions and not newer deeper ones. I use a 60x30x30 clearseal that I cut the braccess of and I've never had fault with it. I few bit of untidy silicoln but for £15 you can't complain.

I did initially more depth is always nice but in tanks this small 30cm is plenty for all but the most elaborate purposes. Just make sure to ramp up the substrate to force depth and plant dense.
George saintly myself almost all of the CAU and many american scapers all use 30cm deep tanks for scaping and few would ever complain.

Don't get a 30 60 30, get one with a bit more height, even if it's just an extra 2 inches you'll appreciate it so much.

i was thinking the same as i am wanting to do a tank like these
7.jpg

they do look better with a bit more height IMO

samc said:
nice, thanks again i wanted a 60cm as i just bought a brand new luminaire for a 2ft its an osaka one i got if for £20 delivered with 2 new t5 bulbs i couldnt resist, wata bargain
where did you get that?

personally, i don't find 30cm too limiting. it all depends on the other dimensions, but i think ti should be okay. what i find realy annoying is when tanks don't have enough height, i think that's a bit more important, especially with what you're planning to do. even a cube would be good for that sort of style.

do you have a filter/heater etc for this tank? sometimes you can get good deals at your lfs, just take a look. even though the filters might not be that good, some of them are pretty decent for the tank and even if they aren't theres still some good deals out there.

Nick16 said:
where did you get that?

i got it from ebay last week just looking around didnt really need it tbh but thought i might use if for something and now i am. its real good, has a good reflector and the bulbs were hi-glo ones worth about £15 each.

Thomas McMillan said:
what i find realy annoying is when tanks don't have enough height, i think that's a bit more important, especially with what you're planning to do. even a cube would be good for that sort of style.

i think iwagumis look better lower but i agree that this style look good tall with branches at the surface. iv never tried this style before but looking at amanos ones his tanks arnt that deep ether. thanks

in an ideal world, you'd use different tank sizes for different layouts. unfortunately we dont have 10 ADA tanks to hand.

what i would do is consider your long term outlook for what you would like to achieve regarding scapes, what style you like. then from there, choose the right size tank for the job. it's no good thinking i could do a great iwagumi in a 30(h) tank, and then realise you want to grow stems, put wood in it etc at a later date.

i nearly ordered a 150x 45 x 36 special to do a panoramic iwagumi....glad i didn't cus i'd be stuck with a one trick pony

Yeah, Having no height in a 60cm is the worst. when I first did my hardscape my substrate at the back was 6inches deep, I ended up taking 4 lt of aquasoil back out just so that I'd have enough water to grow the rotalla's I wanted. I wish I'd gotten a 60x40/45x30 the extra watercolumn would have been nice.

Garuf said:
when I first did my hardscape my substrate at the back was 6inches deep, I ended up taking 4 lt of aquasoil back out just so that I'd have enough water to grow the rotalla's I wanted.
another great point!

or then there are those of us that buy 1 tank and work with the dimensions every time ;) Mine is only 34.5cm D.

AC

I have been reading on the aquascaping forums and no one ever almost consider to DIY the tank! Why? It's not hard to do and it don't have to be exp.

Pets@Home - 24x12x15" - £25.

People have removed the braces from these without problems too... personally, I prefer a bit of wood trim around the top to hit the braces and the water line.

Back