• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where to buy in Scotland.

Just visited Eden Aquatics and Reptiles (formerly water wonders). The place was undergoing some refurbishments but still an improvement was apparent. The fish tanks were all clean and healthy looking. There were a couple tanks with plants in them (im too much of a noob to offer any analysis). Fish selection was pretty standard although they did have Siamese Algae Eaters which I had been looking for and some madagascar rainbows which I haven't seen very often.

Any recent update on the maidenhead aquatics?

Maidenhead in Edinburgh have some ok stock now. I pop in now and again but have yet to actually buy anything. Their prices are pretty high and they don't tend to stock many of the sorts of fish I tend to be interested in, but worth a look if you're in the area (I still hate their choice of site though).

Eden Aquatics is definitely slowly improving under Darryle's ownership. He's gradually cutting back on the reptiles and expanding the fish and plant selections as and when he can afford to I think.

Thanks for the update. It's mainly rainbowfish I am interested in. Seems a little strange they dont keep a stock list online anywhere. Another reason I used to like insideoutside

Eden Aquatics is getting to be the best shop around here. Darryle does a good job there. Andy knows what he speaks about and all the team grows around these two folks into an experienced and educated staff. This is shope is where I get my fish for sure. Now when part of reptiles moving to Glasgow, let's hope we will be able to see a proper plants section here too. I believe that downstairs plants "storing"is just a temporary thing due to the rebuild. Co2 only refIle in Edinburgh is forth fire as far as I'm aware. £15 2kg.see you in Eden Aquatics!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I agree with handyman!

Fishkeeper Glasgow
Kirkshaws Rd, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire ML5 4SL
01236 436067

They always have a really nice selection of plants!
Great selection of JBL stock and the new Pro Scape range and also have refillable CO2 bottles under £20, recently they also started stocking Tmc Aqua grow products.
Also recently they setup a planted tank one of there 110cm Aqua oak tanks its really nice!

Just a note to those up Aberdeen way, Maidenhead Aquatics are opening a fishkeeper store thats taking over the old store run fish center at Dobbies.
Supposedly expanding to twice the size so hopefully some hope of a half decent stockist for those a bit further north :thumbup:
Store opens June 2015 so fingers crossed it's a goodun.

Just a note to those up Aberdeen way, Maidenhead Aquatics are opening a fishkeeper store thats taking over the old store run fish center at Dobbies.
Supposedly expanding to twice the size so hopefully some hope of a half decent stockist for those a bit further north :thumbup:
Store opens June 2015 so fingers crossed it's a goodun.

about time too. aberdeens shops are woeful from my experience.

my updates.

been to discovery aquatics in dundee a few times in the last year (not in the last few months however). Find their hardscape selection one of the best, if not the best in scotland. wide range of big baskets of rock and wood. fish room is new and fresh but seemed understocked a touch when i was there last. some interesting stuff thou. black harlequins being my fav. good selection of apistos and odd balls too.

i'm now up in the far north so have visited the inverness fishkeeper (same group as the other scottish ones) which is better then the edinburgh one in my opinion. Rubbish plant selection and stock maidenhead general fish. But their nano tank bank for smaller fish has had some great stuff. I got some carbon rilli there and they have had some nice micro rasbora.

My staple shop D&I Aquatics in lossiemouth. It's one of the remaining old school shops and the staff are great. They appreciate my planted knowledge and will happily match internet prices if they can for big ticket items while striving to get plants from tropica if I order enough of the multiples. Fish wise they are very well kept tanks but its a small shop so not a ton of stock. Enough interesting stuff for me to keep popping in every couple of weeks. Biggest bonus is the MASSIVE bucket of redmoor at the cheapest prices i've ever seen. Wood heaven. More then happy to keep spending my pennies there to support a local shop with the right ethos.

Best Regards,
John

For fish 'the fish hut' is excellent and you can collect or receive in the post. Best to contact through facebook - thefishhut. Colin can get in all sorts of unusual fish and there are people selling uk bred fish on thefishhut too.

For fish 'the fish hut' is excellent and you can collect or receive in the post. Best to contact through facebook - thefishhut. Colin can get in all sorts of unusual fish and there are people selling uk bred fish on thefishhut too.

I've been wanting to pay a visit there for ages. His lists are awesome. BigTom has had some stuff from him in the past I believe.

Yeah Colin is ace, especially for Asian stuff.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

I've yet to bump into him, i've been selling plants at most of the auctions this year. I think he's mostly associated with the Central Aquarist Society.

Looking for habrosus cories and peacock gudgeons in and around Glasgow.

Can't speak highly enough of David and Julie at Riverside Aquaria in Broxburn. Helped me a great deal when setting up my tank and have a very good stock of fish, plants are basic but not bad (impressed with aquarium gardens after trying them so that's my go to now) and they have a good but small selection of stones and wood.

With regards to equipment they stock just about everything and what they don't have they will try their best to get it in for you, good prices as well.

Riverside Aquaria
Williamson's Garden Centre Complex
Broxburn
EH52 6PA

And if anyone know the best place around Fife/Edinburgh to buy and refill co2 these days that would be a great help

Not a co2 one, but there's a hidden gem for fish, over 200 tanks in Linwood, Paisley:

Riverpark Aquatics
Unit 31, Riverpark Industrial Estate,
Bridge Street, Linwood, Paisley

The owner Huw has a facebook page and website also under "Riverpark Aquatics", the premises operate in an industrial unit and have been going for 3 years or so, but just recently has been gaining attention. Good quality of fish and cheaper than many others.

I am looking for a co2 refill service too. Please let me know if you spot the place in Edinburgh or surroundings. Thank you.

Not a co2 one, but there's a hidden gem for fish, over 200 tanks in Linwood, Paisley:

Doh, wish I'd knew about that, spent 3 hours sitting waiting at Glasgow airport the other day, if I'd have knew about this place I would have nipped down for a browse.

Does anybody know where is good now in Edinburgh/Glasgow? So many places seem to be closing?

Anywhere great for shrimp in particular?

For Shrimp in Edinburgh either Fishkeeper @ Dobbies or Fishkeeper @ Leith, the one in Dobbies usually has more range.

For CO₂ refills (refills not exclusive to fire extinguishers) in Edinburgh there is Forth Fire Protection, Bonnington Industrial Estate.

Back