• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where to buy in Scotland.

Riverside Aquaria near Livingston is still my go to but just visited the new Central Aquatics near Falkirk at the weekend and seems like they are growing very quickly after taking over the place recently, some nice varied fish (apistos etc...) and massive marine frag tables if that's your thing

Hope nobody minds me bumping this thread!

Any updates of favourite stores this year.

Choices are slim here on the border. Been a while since i was last at edinburgh.

Trip out the other day, visited Discovery Aquatics in Dundee .. impressive. Big selection of hardscape (small room dedicated to it) and dry goods. Extensive fish room. Emphasis definitely on fish, and their site gives lists of recent deliveries .. impressive range of species.
Then Dobies on north side of the city. As someone has said, their fish section is now part of Maidenhead Aquatics, and the contrast since the last time I'd seen it, a few years ago, is dramatic. Much better selection of affordable tanks, many more fish display tanks and well kept .. nothing unusual but a good selection of 'routine' fish and - nice to see - varieties kept separately (e.g. tank of blue maculatus platies kept separate from other colours / varieties). Good selection of dry goods.
Plants, much wider selection than I'd seen before in a very well kept large tank.

Bumping this thread, again...

I visited Riverside Aquaria in Broxburn last weekend, and was really impressed with how well-stocked, and clean it all was. Best, tidiest tanks ever, and quite a varied selection of fish. The plant selection was also quite varied and impressive, as well as the hardscape. Cutest little aquarium shop I've seen in a long time...

I also visited East Lothian Aquatics in Tranent. Debbie was so friendly and helpful, it was a joy to be in the shop. I was completely gutted to hear of their troubles with the power bills forcing them to close down a huge portion of the store... I hope they can sort it out soon, the place is massive and I'd love to see it full of fish!

Maidenhead Aquatics in Dobbie's outside Edinburgh is sort of the middle of the road... decent fish selection, lots of hardware, food and chemicals, mainly from JBL. Good hardscape selection, and the staff are all friendly and proud to be aquarists in their own right. I kinda feel like this is my "local" shop, because it is the first one I visited when I decided to get back in the hobby last year, but Broxburn is closer to me so this might change...

~C

Bumping this thread, again...

I visited Riverside Aquaria in Broxburn last weekend, and was really impressed with how well-stocked, and clean it all was. Best, tidiest tanks ever, and quite a varied selection of fish. The plant selection was also quite varied and impressive, as well as the hardscape. Cutest little aquarium shop I've seen in a long time...

I also visited East Lothian Aquatics in Tranent. Debbie was so friendly and helpful, it was a joy to be in the shop. I was completely gutted to hear of their troubles with the power bills forcing them to close down a huge portion of the store... I hope they can sort it out soon, the place is massive and I'd love to see it full of fish!

Maidenhead Aquatics in Dobbie's outside Edinburgh is sort of the middle of the road... decent fish selection, lots of hardware, food and chemicals, mainly from JBL. Good hardscape selection, and the staff are all friendly and proud to be aquarists in their own right. I kinda feel like this is my "local" shop, because it is the first one I visited when I decided to get back in the hobby last year, but Broxburn is closer to me so this might change...

~C

Riverside Aquaria is my go-to, I stay in Dunfermline but haven't been very impressed with any of the other stores I've seen yet outside of them.

Back