• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where to buy PVC clear tubes for DIY spraybar?

Jaap

Hello,

anyone knows of an online store to get PVC tubes for a DIY spraybar? Or maybe a online seller of actual spraybars? Not those green eheim one though :)

Thanks

This may sound like a stupid question, but what can you use for end stops? I've often thought about making my own as well, but I'd want it to look neat and purposefully manufactured...so no corks etc...:eek:

This may sound like a stupid question, but what can you use for end stops? I've often thought about making my own as well, but I'd want it to look neat and purposefully manufactured...so no corks etc...:eek:

Search eheim end cap on your favourite auction site

I just used some silicone on mine. Looks weren't really that important as it's hidden anyway, but I'm sure you could pick some sort of end cap up from somewhere.

In fact just thought of an idea lol. Just buy some clear acrylic bar the same as the ID, cut it to maybe 5mm and use some acrylic solvent stuff. Or just use regular super glue.

If you want to go the whole hog:
http://www.clearplasticsupplies.co.uk/acrylic_tube_clear.htm
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/259l-bookcase-rebirth.19287/page-3#post-202833

But from your profile you seem to be in Greece so you might want to try and find a source closer to home ;) (google translate says διαφανές)

If you just want a short bit to just make a spray bar, you can probably find a plastics merchant not

If you are going to make a spraybar yourself, remember to factor in the area of the holes in it. If they total less than the cross section area of the tube then the water will come out faster than it goes in, if its larger then it will come out slower.

Last edited:
If you are going to make a spraybar yourself, remember to factor in the area of the holes in it. If they total less than the cross section area of the tube then the water will come out faster than it goes in, if its larger then it will come out slower.

You want to be aiming for the same cross sectiontial area exiting as is entering regardless. If the area is smaller it will cause the pump to work harder and result in a loss in LPH due to being more restricted, if the area is larger, then the end holes of the bar will get little, if no flow.

How many holes you actually drill will determine the velocity. Fewer holes will be more aggressive and more holes more subtle, either way the holes should equal the original area.

Hi Troi

I bought my PVC spraybar in a specialized plastic shop. The advantage is that once you are there and they understand what you are going to do with this piece of plastic they can offer you different options. In my case, for 1 euro I got both a standard clear end stop (kind of cap) and also a sucker which is helpful to have another fixing point at the end of the spraybar (and fits in the tube end perfectly). I also got different options and sucker models to fix the bar along the back. Human beings are helpful (when they want), ebay not that much ;)

Jordi

What I'd do is use a 90deg countersink on the end of the tube then get a piece of sheet the same thickness as the tube wall, cut a disc the same as the od of the tube 45deg the edge and glue it in with acrylic cement.

So I would like the spraybar to be about 35 cm long.....what is the spacing between the drilled wholes?

You have to try... buy at least two or three 35 cm cheap PVC bars and drill them. Ideally the total surface of all the holes should be similar to outlet pipe surface. I did the calculations, but as we don't usually have precision drillers at home, you work with something that is more or less what you need. This calculation will give you an rough idea of both the number and holes surfaces. Then you should try different variations (one drill more, one less, etc.).
Once you know what works best for your tank, you can buy an acrilyc spraybar and replicate your drilling pattern... in my case I am too lazy and I still have the clear PVC bar ;)

Jordi

its all in Dutch Edvet :) I can't read Dutch :)

Is there a ready made PVC spraybar?

So I would like the spraybar to be about 35 cm long.....what is the spacing between the drilled wholes?

Once you've worked out the number and size of the holes, to work out the spacing just divide the total length of the spraybar by the total number of spaces needed, including the space needed at each end.

So in your case, if you ended up having 5 holes that would mean 6 spaces all together. 35cm/6 = 5.83cm spacing.

Back