where to get filter sponges

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Nick16, 8 Jan 2009.

1. Nick16

Nick16 Member

hi, i am going to buy an external (yes taking the plunge) but it has no media with it, i already have ceramic stuff for one tray and i have metres of floss to cut up and put into another but i dont know where to get the filter sponges, the filter will be quite big so i will need large amounts of media, e.g a sheet of about 30x30cm (at least).

where do you guys get yours? any links will be pot notch.

P.S i have tried my 2 LFS's and they dont have anything.

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I get mine from a garden centre where they sell pond equiipment, buy some sponges and cut them to the size you need.
    Available in different coarse's so you can trap the finest of waste floating around.

3. Nick16

Nick16 Member

i have tried that but all i can ind is the stuff with the 'bumps' in, i might have to just get that as there is nothing else around.

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

They will be fine, i have nicked these pics off of Dave Spencer's journal, i am sure he wont mind ;)

Pondsponge.jpg
    Sponge.jpg
    Wool.jpg

5. Nick16

Nick16 Member

those are the bumpy ones!! yeah, i can get a coarse medium and fine from ebay for about £8. but will i need two lots as the filter says it is 29cms by 29cms, but the pads are slightly loner 30cms by 42. so i can get one piece and thats it? so will i have to get 2 lots or will one be fine?

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

What filter is it?

1 pad will be fine, although you may be able to save on postage costs and have a spare set if necassary by buying 2.

7. Nick16

Nick16 Member

i couldnt be bothered with fiddling around with all the sponges so i spent an extra couple of quid and bought a TT EX1200 that comes with the media.

8. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I use pond filter sponges and filter floss, much cheaper, esp for my huge 2080.

Sam