• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where to place an in-line diffuser?

maj74

So on my new tank I will be using an in-line diffuser to remove one more item from the tank.

I've read contradicting ideas of where to place this, some saying the outflow, into the filter, and others saying the inflow back to the tank.

Obviously I want to ensure maximum co2 dissolving, so logic says put it in the outflow as it goes into the filter, as this will mix the bubbles into the water flow so much more before it returns to the tank.

However, I am just wanting to check I am ok with this? Putting water with high(er) levels of CO2 straight into the filter won't harm the bacteria in the filter will it?

Last edited:
Hi
Personally I've added it onto the outflow of the filter tubing!
My reason is, you could potentially get gas trapped in the filter which could cause large bubbles coming out the spraybar or the lily pipe.

Not sure about having a detrimental effect on the beneficial bacteria within the filter.
I don't think members have had any problems running the inline diffuser on the inflow side of the filter!
hoggie

I run mine straight in to.the filter using as a reactor to break the co2 bubbles down defore going back in to the tank with no issues
Cheers
Jay

I run mine straight in to.the filter using as a reactor to break the co2 bubbles down defore going back in to the tank with no issues
Cheers
Jay
What filter are you doing that with, as I believe it works better with some than with others?

Good morning all,

I've had the same concerns as @maj74, at the beginning of my journey with planted tank two years ago.
I have tried placing JBL inline diffuser on intake pipe into the filter Eheim 2236 (Ecco pro 300) for couple of months and there was no problems with bacteria at all. I have been even finding alive shrimps at the bottom of the filter, when cleaning (I have not knew about shrimp guard/mesh at that time). The CO2 solubility was ideal.
But after some time filter/impeller became more noisey as at the top section of filter interior, constantly there was gas bubble. That time I have decided to change my 14.5 g tank to 28.5 g and add Eheim 2275, with JBL diffuser on outtake filter pipe. Just to avoid problems with noise.
Unfortunately with last setup bubbles are visible and still I can not get used to it.

Regards..

Hey all,
I’ve ran an in-line diffuser on both sides of an Ada superjet in the past and both methods work fine.
My preferred is on the outlet. Although I can see the minute bubbles in the tank, it’s a trade off I happily make against the additional noise made by the CO2 passing through the filter. ;)

Back