• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where to place my powerheads?

Rasmusm

Hi

I have a 530liter planted tank, with 4x80w light over. Atm im only running on 30% light thats enough really.. Not much.

Anyways I have a Eheim pro 3 2080 filter, ~ 1700l/t and one Hydor koralia 2800l/t powerhead, today I got an extra powerhead also a 2800l/t :)

Which gives 7300l/hour movement in the tank. Or ~ 17x tank volume.
I calculated fertilizer for 425l water :)

Anyways where should I place the extra powerhead?
Heres a video from before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykj9GrmR ... r_embedded

Thanks,

Best regards Rasmus
Denmark

Hi Rasmus,
Since you don't have any carpet plants your flow is less critical at the moment, however, as you gain more plant mass you might find that pointing the powerhead lengthwise causes problems, especially as you increase the lighting. Check this thread, which starts out with something completely unrelated but turns out to be a similar issue==> http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14853

Cheers,

Thanks Clive, I wonder if I should place my powerheads as he is doing, my tank is 160cm x55cm deep and 60cm high.
So ye not sure 160cm is a long way to push water.

Also I just prunet it down to like half the plant mass.. Was insane last weekend :p which gets me to my surface film, there was litteraly nothing. I could skimm it off every 3rd day or something, now after pruning it I will have to do it 2 times a day :s

Its weird

No, this is not weird. It's normal. 160 cm is a very long way to push water, so if you only push it 55 cm there are fewer obstacles and there is enough energy to push it down to the bottom. I suggest that you use a spraybar connected to your main filter and place it along the back way pointing straight ahead. then place your powerheads evenly across the back exactly as described in the thread.

Cheers,

will try that.

Clive, how come my surface scum turns into some red gunk sometimes when I skimm it off?
Other days its white .. I cant see the logic in it. I dose 10ml of micro which should be perfect for my aquarium.

Hi mate,
Surface scum is composed of high levels of fats, carbohydrates and proteins so whatever critters are best able to feed on this debris take advantage. Based on the specific content those organisms may be white, red, brown green, any color. You'd need a microscope to be able to identify what critters are feeding on it at any time.

Rasmusm said:
I dose 10ml of micro which should be perfect for my aquarium.
On what basis have you come to this conclusion? Any combination of poor flow, poor CO2 and poor macronutrients or micronutrients can result in malnutrition. The plants clearly disagree with you on this. When you mentioned that you calculated fertilizer for this tank you did not really specify exactly how much of what you were adding, so it's difficult to analyze.

Cheers,

My micro fert, I have something called Rexolin not sure if thats what you use in england?

bor (B) 1,1
kobber (Cu) 0,25
jern (Fe) 6,0
mangan (Mn) 2,4
molybdæn (Mo) 0,25
zink (Zn) 1,3
Chelatering: Cu, Mn og Zn er chelaterede med EDTA, Fe med DTPA.

Sorry stuff is on danish :) I then dose 8g in 500ml of water. = 1ml pr 50liter, I actualy dose 2ml to much, I've calculated ferts on my tank from 425l water, so 8ml should be enough.

Will find info on my makro

Back