• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

which filter?

Nelson

hi all,
looking at buying a new filter.i see a lot of people use the ex1200.just wondering if you would recommend it or something else.tank is 215 litres.no koralia yet.soon.
thanks
neil
ps.budget is about £100 max

The tetra tec ex1200 is the only filter i have tried and have been using it for 2 years now, overall its a good filter - easy to clean - easy to prime and good flow.

And cheap :) which helps, would love to get a Eheim 2078 but they cost £150+ . Would like compare the eheim and tetra tec to see any differance in flow over time.

However
Tetra have identified a problem with this range of filters. The hose adaptor unit ball valve spindles can leak water, which then fills up the compartments within the top of the filter and then overflows down the sides of the canister. This leads the customer to think that the main canister seal is leaking, when in fact it is most unlikely.

Tetra have modified the adaptor unit and are fitting it to all new production stock.

Had this very same problem myself and contacted Tretra tec and they had a new part out in three days :D so customer service is great. :D

Hope this helps

Mark

I have use a 1200 for the last 12 months - the only issue I have had is "leaks". Just bought an Eheim 2080 - flow rate of 1700 lph, the other unit I was considering was a Fuval FX5 - flow rate of 2400 lph, but its a monster and would not fit in my cupboard. My tank is 217 litres so you could say that I am a little under powered - ideally I should have a turn over of water 2170lph - 10x the volume of the tank, I can add a seperate power head to assist in the flow if I require.

Paul.

hi,
a bit concerned about leaks when i'm at work all day!. :rolleyes: flyfisherman,they cost way to much for me :(
thanks
neil

Neil

Have a look on ebay:

2x fx5 - one on a bid and it new - 15 Hrs left - current bid £62.50 + 9.75 postage, the other buy it now @ £115.00 + 17.00 poatage.

1 x eheim 2080 current bid £26.00 - used - 1day 23 hrs left - no media

regards

paul.

hi,
outbid on the fluval.bid this morning before work.on the road most of the day so no access to a computer.need one quite quick as mine is dying from old age :D .
thanks
neil

clark,where did you get one for £100

nelson said:
clark,where did you get one for £100
Mine cost me about £125 from AquaEssentials as a special order. I've just had a look and they seem to have gone up in price to £150. I did see them a few months back for less than £100. As they're not really imported into the UK much, I guess the price will reflect that from time to time.

hi,
you got my hopes up then clark :( .will keep looking.still watching ebay paul
neil

Neil

one on ebay again - current bid 64.17 + 15.00 p&p with 3 days left or the eheim 2080 is still there 1day & 1 hrs left, the best place for media is Ultimate aquatic 01334 656699 @ 56.95 which inc. p&p - mine arrived this morning, order last Thursday, delivered to them on Tuesday and arrived today.

Regards
Paul.

hi paul,
still watching the eheim :D .have to see tomorrow ;) will keep an eye on the other one if not.
thanks again for you help
neil

ps,read a review on the fx5.the person had 6 in 2006 and only had one left working as of march 2008 :rolleyes:

neil

Its a copy of a Tetratec external - get yourselve a pic of a 1200 and a pic of the other and compare them - they are identical, it will be the internal that will be different ie the UV light.

The ehiem is the one you want - mine will be up and running this aft - combination of new media / old media. There are plenty of new 2080 available at crazy money. I placed an order form a firm in south devon - 5 weeks later no filter, managed to get a refund, placed an order with Ulimate aquatic - here within a week. My advise would be if you see one and its cheap enough - nab it.

Paul.

hi,
i'd love one but really can't afford it.the one on ebay is now £67 with 3 hours to go :(
neil
went for £132+p&p+you had to get media.too rich for me

Superman said:
Just be careful when shopping at the minute. There are a few places I wouldn't trust even though they're rock bottom prices.

The rule of thumb is... "if it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason"
And I think there's the other one from Graeme/George/Dan "buy cheap, buy twice"

Neil

With reference to the above and my statement regarding if its cheep nab it was referencing a Eheim 2080 not any other filter.

Paul.

hi,
i knew what you meant paul,and i think we all know what places clark is talking about!.also don't buy the ebay one.
anyway i need one pretty quick and can't afford the eheim i want so will probably get a jbl e1500 i've seen on a dutch site
http://www.seame.com/int/
thanks again guys
neil

i'll get a koralia when i can afford it

go for eheim. cant beat german engineering. i now have the big eheim electronic and it is the bees knees.

Back