• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Which fish

Fishydib

Evening all
I've got a 55L dennerle scapers tank, well stocked with plants and I've set this up as a cherry shrimp tank, not yet stocked, i think it has fully cycled but i'm just waiting to make sure. What i'm interested in is the smallest fish to go in here that will be compatible with my shrimp, ph is around 7-8 and south coast water, so quite hard. Also how many fish could i have? Was thinking about eight of the same type.

ScareCrow

Most fish will eat shrimp, if not the adults they'll eat young shrimp. If it's heavily planted the shrimp will have cover, so you could get the shrimp first, they'll have a bit of time to increase in numbers. When you add the fish you'll probably see the shrimp less as they'll hide from the fish. With your tank size, water chemistry and shrimp I'd go for some of the the smaller rainbow species, either Pseudomugil gertrudae, Pseudomugil sp. 'red neon' or Iriatherina werneri. Iriatherina werneri have very small mouths so it might restrict the size of shrimp they could eat but I've not kept them so can't guarantee it.

Fishydib

Thanks for the info, i'll look in to those. What about endlers, would they leave the shrimp alone?

dean

So what about

e1b02b0dc4f42fd1f591ad79b1f607dc.jpg

Marbled Hatchet Fish

Carnegiella strigata

They only eat from the surface and the aquarium must have a lid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishydib

So what about

e1b02b0dc4f42fd1f591ad79b1f607dc.jpg

Marbled Hatchet Fish

Carnegiella strigata