• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Which lens?

Steve Smith

Hey guys. I'm toying with the idea of a new camera, and I've seen a 50D body which I might go for. I wondered what lens I should consider getting with it. I'll have my old 18-55 which came with my old EOS 300D to start me off, but it's a bit old and grimey.

Thoughts?

Mark Webb

Depends on what you want to photograph and budget. The 18-55 is a good general purpose lens for the price.

Mark Webb

I agree about the 17-55, however, if you wanted to keep the 18-55 and increase the range a little, you could go for the 24-105 L which is also excellent and optically far superior to the 18-55. I recently purchased one on ebay at a third of the retail cost and its less than 1 year old and perfect. I would add spend as much as you can on the optics to get the maximum from the 50D.

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
I'd go for 17-70 and a nifty fifty to start you off, i've used Georges 17-70 and it's a cracking all purpose lens.

If your thinking of getting the 50D from a foreign sell on eBay, remember i got whacked for import tax, if they open it up it'll be about £120 but mine just said "digital camera" on it so i presume they took a guess and whacked me for £55.