• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which light?

wazuck

Ok here is my dilemma! I own 2 tmc led lights. I want to run one on my 35cm optiwhite cube. They a tmc mini 400 and 1000ND. My options are to either mount the mini led using the mountaray stand or hang the 1000ND above the tank. I have one controller so dimming is do-able. Obviously the 1000ND Is bigger and brighter. Altho both will produce any light from low-very high on this tank. I can hang my 1000ND nice and high and have emerged plants as an option. But I guess I could do the same with the mini 400. Oh the options!! If it was you, which one would you use????

I would go with the 400.. its a much better suited light for that tank. And then sell me the 1000ND ;)

Haha! I'm after a second one. And also I got mine for £100 after being used for a whole two days at an aquatics show. Im a hoarder when it comes to things like this. I wouldn't sell it for the world. I need a bigger cube now or a second 1000ND and a 3ft optiwhite :) so you think the 400! I'll await a few more votes. Thanks for yours ;)

deffo go with the 400 for the nano mate, its a huge waste of resource of the 1000ND. I have one with power controller and am after another myself. I have two 1500XG's on the 3' optiwhite I am picking up next week but they are the wrong colour temp really for planted (i know the plants dont care, but I do ! lol). Nice buying for yours.. who did u get it from ? Jammy get, hehe.

eBay bargain :) no one wanted it as it came with no PSU. I got it for £80 with free shipping and bought a PSU for £20. Saved myself £80 for the sake of 2days use :) I'm the eBay master. My optiwhite cube was £30 from there. I don't want to go on as you'd only hate me ;)

wazuck said:
eBay bargain :) no one wanted it as it came with no PSU. I got it for £80 with free shipping and bought a PSU for £20. Saved myself £80 for the sake of 2days use :) I'm the eBay master. My optiwhite cube was £30 from there. I don't want to go on as you'd only hate me ;)

Not at all lol, a man after my own heart ! I love ebay bargains. (Though I may have to break in and steal your 1000ND lol :twisted: 8) :lol: )

wazuck said:
You'll never find me ;)

Hahah I bet you are the only one with a planted tank and lighting fetish in Buckfastleigh !

Good luck ;) there is one other guy in the area that has a lot more equipment than me, he has mates that own fish shops so he gets my cheap fish :) I would actually give you my 1000ND if you find me ;)

wazuck said:
Good luck ;) there is one other guy in the area that has a lot more equipment than me, he has mates that own fish shops so he gets my cheap fish :) I would actually give you my 1000ND if you find me ;)

Is that a challenge ? LOL. Im pretty good at that sort of thing you know 8)

I'm running the 1000 over a 30cm cube on the mountaray and I wouldn't say it is overpowered. I am running injected CO2 though. Was going to go for the 400 but was advised by ADC that it was very weak. Might be fine for a low-tech.

Will try to update my journal tonight.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The mountaray is not designed for the 1000 range. They are too heavy. I tried putting mine on one and was very concerned it would snap the glass. TMC are of the opposite opinion to ADC on lighting requirements clearly then as they suggested the 1000 would be well overpowered. Having put mine over my 30L nano I have to admit, CO2 or not, I agreed with them.

I feel both lights will be fine for high tech. I've seen people growing HC carpets at 60% power on a 400. I'll see how I get with the 400 then use the 1000 if needs be.

Whitey89 said:
Just as I thought Chris, one bracket seemed too unstable to me, and did put a lot of strain on the glass.

I think I'm gonna spray mine White. Will look nice.

If you trust whatever you are spraying with to adhere properly thats cool. It would look nice. Or you could find a firm that does that sort of thing. You have yours on a twin mountaray dont you with your (is it 45cm) tank, but for a 30L tank you cannot get two brackets together properly.

Back