• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Moss for Redmoor Root?

BarryH

Now I have a better idea of how to waterlog the Redmoor Roots I have, I'm looking to add some form of moss to its branches.

The tank will mainly hold Cardinal Tetras, and I'd like advice on which type of moss I should go for and the "best" way of securing it to the branches. I'm aware of all the videos on YouTube but the answers are so varied I'd prefer to hear from people on UKAPS with the experience of doing it.

As usual, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can try yoghurt method with fine mosses like fissidens / riccardia. Works on redmoor.

You can use superglue (cyanoacrylate) with all mosses.

Or use transparant fishing line (for mos that doesn't attach well) or cotton thread (for moss that attaches well to hardscape).

IMO the yoghurt method is very natural :D But you need to dry start the tank for ~3 weeks.

Yup, as Edvet says, depends on the moss sp. and the amount you like to apply.. For example Fissidens is always a difficult moss to glue in large patches. Than tying works better. Though large patches of fissidens? if you din't grow it yourself it aint always what you get. Than glue again works beter to spread small pieces all over the place. Patches of livermoss are always easier to glue.

But it all also is a personal prefference, you have to try thigs and go what works best for you.

Look at the type of moss and look at the place you want it to attach and the amount and it will come to you on its own what probably works best at that particular spot. And find that the same moss at a differnt spot another way is beter again. There is no best, because there are 1000 and 1 different possitions and shapes asking for an induvivual approach.

Other things are is the hardscape already in the tank? Than tying can be a pain in the butt, than glue to the resque. Is the hardscape still on you table tying might work better.

Etc. etc. :)

I opted for spiky moss for my redmoor wood. My decision was made my looking at pictures of the various mosses and going for the one i liked the most. I superglued it to parts of the wood and am waiting for it to grow out and cover the lumps of white glue. I think you can be pretty flexible with what you want. Just research what the moss looks like once it is established.

This Fissidens was glued on with super glue and eventually spread from tiny pieces, I generally don’t use string as I find glueing easier, can’t say for larger pieces though.
30F3DC46-16ED-43CC-9672-A4D06C8335A1.jpeg

Back