• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which phone?

dazzer1975 said:
ghostsword said:
But I never said that android dies not work.

No you didn't, you tried being sneakier than that by inferring an association with open source and unreliability. If not, why else compare open source to ios?

You are a funny individual. You win, its ok.

pXUsV.jpg

^^ LOL @ the pic... Meanwhile, Winmo is slightly out of shot with a rocket launcher :D

I Love my winmo phone (HTC touch HD)... its old as hell now, but still love it, even if the batter life is now appalling - but then I do watch a lot of video on my commute. I love it for the exact same reasons stated above. I don't need Steve Jobs' permission if i want to install an app that replaces the dialer for instance.

I freely admit to being anti apple, not because of their hardware, but they are money grabbing control freaks. The hardware (although overpriced) is great. Its still the handset of choice for my staff though, multiple active sync accounts, without having to bother with the almighty pain in the blahblahblahblah of BES is great. Supporting the iPhone is reasonably easy. Supporting BBs i found frustrating. The GUI is so counter intuitive.

There was a huge security flaw with android recently, but I'm sure thats plugged now in the main. I also had issues with it syncing with an exchange mailbox before, but that was a while ago, and I expect thats solved inthe main now.

Woah that's a lot of information to take in, lol.

Although I said I don't like iTunes I do appreciate the info on the iPhone 5 and as contracts are normally for 2 years I don't mind waiting to get a decent phone. I'm not anti-apple, I just hate iTunes and I much prefer windows media player prior to the windows 7 version. I'm not a major techy so I'm not going to bother jailbreaking or installing new roms. I'm not going to continue an android vs apple battle BUT apple phones only use one app at a time (I think) where as I can have a few things running at once which is handy...

Problems with android phones? Like I said it thinks I'm swiping a direction when I'm not. So trying to do most things with it drives me mad, although this fault is intermittent. This might sound like a minor bugbear but I go to write a text, the cursor needs to be in the box. The phone swipes to the right and selects send, I don't notice, try to type and it doesn't do anything. Or I'm typing, it swipes up, and suddenly I'm typing on the wrong line. Or, best of all, I type it swipes down and it goes to the first text message in that conversation. It keeps all the texts so in the case of my Mum I then have to scroll through 1000 text messages just so I can press the send button, AAARGH!!! :twisted: I know Steve and Paulo had desires without problems, I'm interested to know someone else having problems too.

I did check out the HD7 but that's only available on O2. I would prefer moving to Vodafone as they have the best coverage from experience. I find that O2 and Orange say they have signal, then you got to make a call or use the internet, oh what a surprise there isn't a decent signal. Whatever happens I will be leaving Orange.

That Xperia is very interesting. I used to have a waterproof camera which I loooooved, it does help if devices are Lisey proof generally smartphones are not.

What I want from a phone:
:arrow: To be able to text and make calls (you may laugh but the HTC hero wouldn't make calls within 6 months)

:arrow: Listen to MP3s (good storage capacity or takes memory cards preferably micro)

:arrow: Take good quality pictures

:arrow: Good flash (I use my phone as a torch all the time, the desire is a million times better than iPhone 3GS at this)

Things I like about my phone:
Generally decent apps are free. Google maps with sat nav, I use this with GPS and it works pretty well. I can change my homescreen to have whatever widgets and shortcuts I want. Before I install an app it asks me if I'm ok with what the app needs to function, some apps need some questionable permissions so I choose not to install them. I keep the internet and GPS switched off the battery will last 2-3 days. If I listen to music all day/make long calls it'll still last a day.

Things I dislike about my phone:
The swiping problem. The opening the wrong text issue. The fact I can't get certain apps to work (BBfoc + msn messenger).

Thanks so much for all the info guys :thumbup: , please do give advice on phones you have owned as it's really good to know if phones are actually any good in practise. 8)

dazzer1975 said:
The above poster with a galaxy s2 and poor battery performance may want to head over to xda devs and get some custom roms rocking on the phone, and/or keep it updated via kies (samsung software) which have continually improving battery performance.

Lol. It is connected to the PC regularly and fully updated. However with a battery standby time which sems inthe region of 24 hours even if you don't use it Makes me laugh when I don't have to charge mine up for weks. lol

However the superb thing is that don't have to talk or share a room with the wife now. PC is mine now she has all day you tube available. lol

One thing that would really annoy me is the way it detects which way you have the phone and goes portrait/landscape automatically. I would have that turned off or at least macro'd on a button.

As for the iphone5 thing. I would wait until it is reviewed against the S2 properly and independentlyonce released. Not reviewed by magazines that have apple adverts paying their wages :) Also remember the problems when the iphone4 was released!!!

Nokia 1616. Thats what you want. Or i also have a Nokia 8210 which is uber cool and retro.

Cheers for the advice Paulo :thumbup: I can get the SII on exactly the same deal I was planning on with the Sensation. Well I have given Orange notice I want to leave so will be ordering at the end of the month 8)

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Cheers for the advice Paulo :thumbup: I can get the SII on exactly the same deal I was planning on with the Sensation. Well I have given Orange notice I want to leave so will be ordering at the end of the month 8)
No worries, you will be amazed how much Android has progressed when you get the Galaxy S2, that's where I am heading in the next couple of months too ;)

BTW all it takes to get a better experience out of your Desire if to perform a ROM upgrade, I have done that on mine and a few other people and you basically get a new phone ;)

Don't listen to Paulo, get an iPhone, you will not regret it. Smaller, lighter, prettier and with great OS, lots of points over a galaxy.

My two brothers have galaxy's, today I swapped phone with one of them for four hours. He is getting an iPhone now. :)

If you know someone that has an iPhone ask them to lend it to you for an evening.

Its a question of personal preference, like I said the phones to get at the moment are the Galaxy S2 or the iPhone 4.
They both have their pros and cons, a j-a-i-l-b-r-o-k-e-n iPhone is great too :p
To be honest I haven't got a new phone just yet as I was waiting for the news on the iPhone 5 before I commit to a new phone ;)

:) pulling your leg mate. :)

Both phones are great, I think what tips the balance are the apps that can be installed. Some apps are even more expensive for android, but ultimately all depends on what you use the phone for.

Iphone 5 with a larger screen would be great, I may also upgrade once it comes out.

Galaxy S2 or HTC Sensation - both great android phones and the android apps market is growing faster than apple in sales and content now.

Iphone still has some apps I wish I could get on android but I'm not going to pay the premium to own one with its associated poor signal. Maybe Iphone 5...?

I bought the Galaxy S2 in July and I love it! Before that I had a rubbish Nokia 5800, so it was a big jump.
The camera is immense btw. Everyone I show it to is shocked by how good it is. It's ultra quick too, what with a 1.2dGHz.

I think the advice to borrow someones phone for a few hours is very good.

Piece-of-fish said:
I would listen to Paulo, he is the man for these. But would go for iphone in the end :D

and I think this is the funniest piece of advice :lol: :clap:

Fred Dulley said:
I bought the Galaxy S2 in July and I love it! Before that I had a rubbish Nokia 5800, so it was a big jump.

I knew my 5800 was a low end phone, but I loved it.
Long battery life (5 days. Woo!). Drag and drop mp3's from the PC. Calls and texts very straightforward. That was me happy.

So, to everyone around me's disgust, I went for an N8 this time.
I am very happy with that too.
Awesome flash. Everything else is a bit dated, but good enough for me and it still has very good battery life which is crucial to me (3 days if I do not go nuts on the data\apps).

My sis just got the iPhone 4, I will have a go with hers. I will go into the vodafone shop and play with the Galaxy as well. The contracts are all 24 months so I'm not going to rush into anything :)

I don't need that many apps, I really can't think of any reason I'd need more tbh!!! I don't play games, the phone is functional for me. I don't want to go backwards in tech, last time I did that I thought I'd go for reliable nokia classic. Yeah that broke pretty quickly, oops! The xperia active looks fun, but it's not out yet...

You would be off ya rocker to get an iphone 4 now.

the iphone 5 is just round the corner and the product cycles in mobile phones means that in the next 6 months a new android flagship will be here.

The galaxy s2 is already 6 months old, but as it stands right now, its the best specced phone available.

If you are having to tie yourself into a 24month contract, i'd wait for the next refresh of the product lines and get in on day one as it were.

I ended up being stuck with my hero for 18 months... never again.

As an aside:

The build quality of htc are phenomenal, but they lost me (htc user since 2002) with their sorry android updates.

At least if samsung are as bad (and they have been previously, although google are trying to remedy this issue) the hardware in the s2 means the community should be able to keep providing updates even if sammy dont.

If you can get one there's never been a better phone than the nokia 3210.
As someone who's about to leave Orange for being god awful at providing a service worth any money for who's doing the best offers on iphones and high end androids these days? I was unable to receive calls with Orange for 3 months and I got nowhere with them so I'm reluctant to go back.

Back