• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Pump

SKP1995

I'm about to go for a blackout in an attempt to get rid of the spyrogyra in my tank, thing is, the idea of using buckets and a syphon to change the water each day doesn't exactly fill me with joy, can anyone recommend a cheap pump that would be fine for a water changer? It doesn't have to be too big as my tanks only about 120l. Cheers!

I don't use a pump. Just rely on gravity. Much cheaper ;)

Takes longer to empty out obviously (but you can do tank maintenance while it is draining).

80L takes about 20minutes to empty for me (over apprx a 10metre run with a 1m drop in height).

To get it started....

- Connect one end of a hose to a tap\s and place the other end in the tank.
- Turn the taps on as if you are filling the tank (even though it is full already).
- When the water has filled the hose (tip - even if the taps are in another room you can hear when it is full as noise of bubbles coming into the tank ceases) remove it from the tap and as long as this end of the hose is lower than the tank end it will start draining out.

hope that helps.

I use an Ehiem compact 1000.
Add 2-3metres of 16/22mm hose and a large 40litre container, and you've got yourself a alright water changer.
Put the pump in the tank with hose connected. Turn it on and either fill up the container or out into the garden.
I then position the empty container next to the fish tank, fill it with water from the tap (got 2x10litre buckets for this), dechlor, put the pump into the container with the hose end into the tank, switch it on and wait. Depends on how large the water change is, but the container might have to be topped up to prevent the level getting too low. (E.g. if you took out 60litres then obviously the full 40litre wont be enough, therefore when the level drops in the container, simply fill with more water).

Most of the powerheads are pretty much the same, especially for this kind of job as it only runs for a few minutes so noise, etc isn't a problem as its not permanently in the tank.

I've got an eheim compact +3000 which is superb but expensive and probably a little OTT for a water change. I've also got a New Jet NJ1700 (I think) which I use for water changes and that's equally as good. I just chuck one end of the tubing out the sitting room window and let it drain to the flower bed, which means I don't have to lug the water around.

Sam

Looks like I'll be getting a new jet nj800 if all goes to plan. Much as I would love to just put the water out my window, being on the third floor kind of puts that idea out of the aforementioned :lol: . I need a hose to refill the tank anyway so the pump will just pump through that to the bathroom, no more buckets! I can't wait!

Back