Which stem plant?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by howardish, 25 Nov 2008.

1. howardish

howardish Member

Hi all,

im looking for a bit of advice. I currently have heteranthera zosterifolia growing in the back corner of my 300l. My tank has settled and and that plant was pretty much there as a stand in while the tank settled and i got into the swing of a high-tech tank. Anyway, i feel that i now wish to get rid of it. It is growing about 2ft a week and im pruning it every week back to about a foot.
    Im looking for ideas for a stem plant that i can use to fill the corner, hopefully grow and create a nice bush. I am possibly looking for a bit more colour but im not up on all the plants yet.

My tank is a rio 300, i have 4x54w lighting, tropica substrate with sand over, and am dosing dry ferts and co2 pressurised.

Any recomendations would be great so i can google them and see what i like. It would help if i could get them online easily ie via AE or TGM.

Thanks in advance guys (& gals)

Howard

2. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

I think you will find most stem plants to be fast growing.

For a nice bushy effect Rotala sp "green" is ideal, but for a red colour try Rotala rotundifolia or Nesaea pedicellata. Ludwigia arcuata can give a more orangy colour.

More delicate looking stems include Micranthemum umbrosum and Hemianthus micranthemoides. Didiplis diandra is both delicate and has a subtle touch of red via its stem.

All of the above are readily available and easy to grow, although one or two have struggled with Didiplis diandra.

Take a look at the tropica web site or browse TGM or AE web sites, who are both forum sponsors.

Dave.

3. howardish

howardish Member

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

I already have Didiplis in my tank and it has settled in nicely, growing at a steady rate and has really bushed out, i am really happy with it.

I have also tried hemianthus micranthemoides originally but it didnt settle in well and i ended up pulling it all up and putting soem pogostemon in its place.

I have had a look at the plants you recommended and i like the look of the nesaea, i will probably go for that. Im intending to order from one of the sponsors in the next few weeks.

Once i can get my girlfriends camera off her i will post some decent pics of my tank.

Thanks again,
    Howard