• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which substrate?... so indecisive...

jueloo

Hi all,

I'm revamping soon and want to change my substrate(flourite), and would appreciate any advice that will help me finally make a decision. :?

Here's what I'm considering:
ADA aquasoil I know a lot of people highly recommend it, but I think I need something that doesn't leach ammonia as Im not starting a new tank - my fish will be going back in there once it's refilled. Unless anyone has any ideas for getting around this?

EcoComplete Have heard and seen good results with this. i dont really need the bacteria stuff that comes with it, so don't know whether Id be paying for something I dont need with this substrate. Have also read about it raising GH & KH - not sure whther this would cause any problems???

Tropica I thought this was a 'complete' but then i read somewhere that it should be capped with sand/gravel. Can anyone confirm?

I prefer a 'complete' as Im sure I will end up with it all mixed togther if I topped it with sand/gravel.

Im after something dark brown to black in colour, small size pieces, prefer a 'complete', and I dont mind paying if it's worth its money (although if ADA are reading, I DO!)

tank size 180 l
ehiem 2026 filter
2x T5 55w
1x T8 25w
CO2 injected
Going for a heavy heavy plant mass.

The more research i do, the more indecisive i get... advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Julia

can i just chuck JBL AQUABASIS into the mix for you, ideal as a 'bulk up' substrate as its cheap. you can then cover with some ADA stuff.

From my own experience I used ADA AS but like you I had an estabished tank full of fish. Therefore I bought a second hand tank for £15 to house the fish for two weeks while the ammonia level reduced to zero.

I think it is worth the hassle as the long term results are the best I have had.

I was very impressed with JBL AquaBasis Plus, and Tropica substrate has been good too. I'd use either again, and both need topped with sand/gravel. JBL is less mudlike than the Tropica one so might be better for larger gravels whereas Tropica (imo) works better under finer gravels/sand.

Both are good, to be honest most reputable brands of plant substrate are good :)

Yeah I read about George's write up on substrates in here on another thread. Need to get a back copy of that - anyone???

ADA Soil version 1 seems to work for most people, if you have fish in the tank you just need to keep up the water changes for the first 2-3 weeks.

Then there is the Oliver Knott soil but not really tested properly yet, I am going to get some for my shrimp tank to try it out.

i can confirm that the oliver knott stuff is great.i'm getting mega growth coupled up with correct co2 and ferts on a high light system you wont go far wrong at all :D

it does everything the ADA soils do, and works our roughly the same regards price.

Back