• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Substrate

dave_m13

Seedling
Hi All

I am wondering what is the best substrate out there for the cost.

I have decided that I am going to rescape my 400 litre tank, 150x52x60,it has too many plants and to be honest does not look great visually, too much green and I never actually see any fish.

Its a low tech tank, roughly 1.4WPG I think, I have CO2, add Flourish every week, if I remember, the plants do grow, slowly but since adding some white spot med, everything just looks dead or not great.

I would like Black Sand as top layer, I have normal sand at the moment, with numerous root tabs in it.

I have been looking at Tetra, JBL and Tropica substrate, which would be the best for cost and how much would I need, if the chart is correct for Tropica, I think that I may only need 2 of the 5l bags.

Or is a bottom substrate not worth it with my set up and I just continue to add root tabs?

Thanks
Dave

1 tub of tetra doesn't have as much volume in it as 1 bag of Tropica though. I would say Tropica is the better value!!

For 400Ltr tank
Tetra (1 tub = 120Ltr tank) = 4 x 5.8kg tubs = £48
Tropica = (8.8Ltrs = 530Ltr tank) 2 x 5Ltr bags = £38

This is of course going by Tropicas recommended substrate volume for tanks. It said 3.2Ltrs for mine but I chucked the whole 5Ltr bag in.

Andy

Thanks for the Information.

I actually have Tetra and Jbl in my 2 other tanks.

Is Tropica any better, according to the amount needed then I believe Tropica will work out cheaper but can only be ordered online, with Tetra and Jbl I can actually get both locally.

Thanks
Dave

I am afraid with the fish I have Akadama probably would not be the best, I also prefer the look of sand, so would rather a bottom subtrate then top it off with Black Sand

Back