• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Substrate?

I would go with ebi gold , as a novice I used this to set up my first crs tank , now I use this in all my shrimp tanks with great results ! It also keeps the water parameters nice and stable ;)

I have read that it stops buffering the ph after about a year is this true? My other concern is the people selling it don't use it in their own tanks, do they know something we don't? Have you tried any of the others as a comparison?

I've heard the same , but still shouldn't be a problem ,I only use RO water remineralised in my tanks and could easily suck up the old stuff and replace with new .
I've also kept and bred rhinos,Cherrys ,yellows,and orange shrimp in a nano with fluval substrate capped with dennerle shrimp gravel and had no probs !

I tried the fluval stuff before and hated it, it hardly lowered the ph.

Yeah I know but the ph didn't really bother me or the Cherrys ,it's still 6.5 two years on and they are breeding well ,so I havnt changed it .

I'm sure the fluval stuff is fine for the cherry shrimp. I need something that will guarantee a low ph though as i want to try a few Taiwans. I decided on the red bee sand anyway, the next day delivery swung it for me.

Ime your better off without active substrates for neocardina sp such as cherries. They prefer slightly harder water to cardina such as Taiwans and active substrates you mention will all soften the water and make it slightly acidic. If you have 1 tank and want to keep both species, I'd be inclined to make it suitable for the Taiwans though. The cherries will be fine but you wont get the best out of them. I'm also using Ebi gold, and can report good results for my Taiwans :)

No, this tank will be for taiwans only. I have had enough of cherry shrimp, i feel all grown up like the day the stabilisers come off my bike :D

No, this tank will be for taiwans only. I have had enough of cherry shrimp, i feel all grown up like the day the stabilisers come off my bike :D

Great stuff - prepare for many headaches, heartbrakes and much money spending!! :)

It's also very satisfying when it goes right......apparently!! :)

I also use Ebi for my Taiwans, they are breeding away quite happily on it. Avoid Fluval though, I had it in my CRS tank and barely had any babies survive on it!

I'm sure the fluval stuff is fine for the cherry shrimp. I need something that will guarantee a low ph though as i want to try a few Taiwans. I decided on the red bee sand anyway, the next day delivery swung it for me.
I set my new tank up with colombia flora base. The pH was 5. I actually had to add some tap water to get the pH back up. :p

I have read that it stops buffering the ph after about a year is this true? My other concern is the people selling it don't use it in their own tanks, do they know something we don't? Have you tried any of the others as a comparison?

Very interesting statement. I wonder where did you get that information.

Just by looking at the pictures on the website. All the shrimp seem to be on Akadama.

I would advice to contact them maybe to inquire. I am most sure 80% of soil used in breeding tanks is Ebi.

Reactions: tim
Back