• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Sump Pump?

dean

Hi all you clever people

I'm thinking of putting a sump on my trigon 350 which has two external on it at present but it's such a hassle getting them in and out of the cabinet to clean them regularly

So it has over 300 litres
Currently low tech and probably stay that way for the foreseeable future

Thinking on having spray bar full width of the curved front glass so will need a good flow rate X 10 = 3000 + litres per hour ?

what pumps you would recommend and why ?

Regards
Dean

10 X turn around for low tech is a bit on the high side.. This usealy is recomended for high tech tanks to prevent dead spots and an equal amount of co2 in ever corner of the tank.. In low tech there aint no co2 added and very low, so regardles the flow it probably will be fairly the same all over the tank.. So 10 x is a bit over the top if you do not have a biotope tank for hill stream loaches or such.. You could easily sufice with 50% of that in a low tech community tank.. :)

Anyway when using a sump your pump capacity needs to be in sync with your drain capacity.. If you would like a 10 x turn over with 3000L p/h you need a drain for 3000L p/h. That's quite a heavy drain. Best practice is to over calculate you drain a bit, so you can squize it down to the pumps capacity. If the drain is to smal in the first place you need to toggle the pump..

Search youtube for that King Of DIY Joey guy, he has several videos of how to build sumps and how to averagely calculate the drain capacity with pipe diameter used and choose a pump according to that.

I've got a 90 litre sump on my trigon 350, I've opted for the Jecod DCS3000 it's only 25watts and flows from 900lph to 3000lph controlled by an external controller. I've also got 2 x 40mm drains the main drain ands an emergency - see my journal for full details. As Zozo has said you need to make sure everything is in sync, I opted for a main drain that can handle more than my pump at full flow I have a valve on the drain so I can control the flow. There's lots of info on the web and some handy calculators too.

I've used sumps and centralised system, trickle towers etc in past on big scale not on a single tank

I'm aware of all the drainage details etc

Thanks for advice guys

I'm future proofing the tank just in case I go high tec at some point

Regards
Dean

Back