• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which tank for a Betta?

Richard40

Considering a planted tank for a single Betta fish in my back room and wondering which tank I should buy to set it up? Want it to look decent also otherwise the Mrs will only complain!

Have seen the Fluval Flex 57 that George Farmer has re scaped so am considering this one, but thought you guys might have some experience or advice?

I keep a Betta in an Aqua One Aquanano 40, rear filter compartment has an adjustable flow return pump, which is why a chose it. Comes in a few different sizes 30, 40 , 60 that's cm not litres. The 40 is around 55 litres. Comes with a glass lid which I do use as I've had Betta's jump before.

I have a fluval flex and I’m waiting on a plant order to be delivered on Tuesday. I have a Betta purchased from a breeder that will go into the tank. If you fancy waiting a few weeks I’ll give my feedback.

I have a 30cm Aqua One cube (the Pets @ Home one without the filter section at the back) which works well. The cubes by Aquael or Dennerle would do nicely but you can always go bigger.

One criticism I have heard about the Fluval Flex 57 is that it is a bit of a pain to access and clean everywhere.

What sort of Betta?
HMPK (half moon plakat) can manage much more flow and seem happy enough in a Flex
HM standard can manage moderate flow
HM with Rosetail often require quite low flow, especially as they mature
Metallic genes (copper mask dragon) often affect respiration, so fish are less able to navigate higher flow

This is an article from 2006, Rt has become much more extreme in many Betta lines, and it’s difficult to find HM lines that have not been contaminated with Rt
http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABRosetails.htm

More so a feather tail or crown tail so low flow? I would possibly want a few rasboras in the tank or cardinals to give the betta some exercise.

The dennerle cube 60l looks decent and the flex. The others all look quite basic and similar.

Beta acuarios also but I can’t find a UK dealer for the compact line.

Could go for Dennerle 60litre cube, with Leddy Smart light and Seachem Tidal hang on filter as it’s a trickle filter? Sure the cube has a lid cover. My only worry here is as it’s a cube any fish don’t have the ability to swim left and right very well.

Have seen Green Aqua sell the compact tank 30 litres, but 20 litres with the filter in the background. They have set up a bonsai tree aquascape which looks cool. Would knock the rasbora on the head I reckon as too small. This is the one you were talking about alto

Have seen quite a lot of tanks without a lid though, they seem to just have less water in the tank and floating plants to force by jumping. Hmmmmmm

Right I’ve decided it’s either going to be

Fluval Flex 57l
Dennerle cube 60l
Beta Compact 30l
Ada Cube Garden 60 P

The flex and compact both have filters stored in the background hidden away.
The cube and the ADA would mean you have to have a heater and hang on back filter.

Thoughts?

Ada Cube Garden 60 P
If you want to add other fish, this gets my vote :)

And it’s a versatile tank that could be put to many uses
(I finally picked up a 60P last year and it’s an awesome scape box)

If you want to add other fish, this gets my vote
Alto, would you use an external filter for this type of tank with lily pipes? Just don’t want the flow causing problems for the Betta. Ideally I’d add a kuhli loach, some amanos, Otocinclus and maybe a shoaling fish to keep the Beta active.
Also, what lighting? Twinstar 600S? Won’t have CO2 so I’d choose easy care plants.

Back