• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which tank?

Richard40

Anyone have any experience of the Oase 200 Highline and the D-D Aqua pro freshwater 900 tanks?
I can’t decide between the two, both fit in my living room space, the latter is 227 litres and the first 202 litres.

Cheers I’ll have a look at them all. One of the things that attracted me to the Oase is the fact all pipes run under the cabinet.

So my question is if you need some floating plants to dim the light for the fish your putting in there, and you have a tank with a lid, would the light being so close to the water just frazzle the floating plants?

The other option is to get an Aquascaper tank with a light hanging over the back. Any recommendations as Kessil are super expensive?

Officially 1 will illuminate 24 x 24 inches (60 x 60 cm). I have 1 Kessil 30cm above the surface of a 90 x 55 cm footprint and it is illuminating it perfectly at 60% although the tank is full of Crypts and Buces, and I'm sure the Prime would cope similarly also. The only problem with these lights is the overspill and the more spread you require the higher the light has to be (power and height) and thus is higher and brighter, which is why my photoperiod is during daylight hours.
The AI Hydra 32 HD LED Freshwater – H2O Aquatics would be a better option, giving more spread it would allow for lower mounting avoiding most of this.
The cooling fan on the Prime is sporadically audible, also to be taken into consideration. Mine is in the kitchen running at 15% over a 40 cm cube quarantine/plant nursery tank and was primarily bought as an emergency replacement for if/when I have any problems with the Kessil.
Cheers

So A4L got back to me they offer an Aquascaper tank for £759 which would need lighting.
Pro - cost, same size as I wanted.
Cons- leaving water marks, fish able to jump out
Or a custom built tank for £1370 with lid, same size which would also need lighting. Can’t see why it’s so much more. Undecided tbh as an African biotope I wanted
Pro- £££, light close to floating plants so not sure if they would grow.
Both £59 delivery also.

The A4L tanks look really nice. I think the quality is supposedly pretty good too.

Having an open top tank is a risk and you have to be willing to take it.

There are lots of options out there for hanging lights. iQuatics do one that’s not overly expensive, so you can suspend the lights at any level you wish.

As for water marks, if you don’t use RO and use tap water, cleaning the glass every few days will keep this at bay.
The other alternative is to buy some frosted vinyl and cut neat strips about 5cm thick and apply it around the glass (where the waterline would be). This is done by many people and actually looks pretty smart.

I hope that helps.

(I’ve always used NACD, as another a option for custom tanks)

Oh and a second option, commonly used in reef keeping, is an acrylic lid, London Aquatic design make these custom. (Not cheap, but do a great job)

I have an open top one now, the EA Aquascaper 900. I have had a few fish jump, but I have had the water close to the rim edge. The tank is going in the living room in the alcove. I wanted the glass pipes to not be on show either really so it all looked neat and tidy to people looking at the tank .

I have an open top one now, the EA Aquascaper 900. I have had a few fish jump, but I have had the water close to the rim edge. The tank is going in the living room in the alcove. I wanted the glass pipes to not be on show either really so it all looked neat and tidy to people looking at the tank .
All comes down to personal preference then mate and what you want from a tank.
I like the highline, I believe they make them in optiwhite glass now too, rather than the float glass.

It comes with the lighting too and a dry weir, but again, it all depends what you want.

Back