• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which wood?

Worshiper

Sorry for my ignorance. I was sold this wood as Redmoor root but someone said its dragonwood which is not suitable for aquatic life.

Is this dragonwood?
20220121_112030.jpg
20220121_112207.jpg

Hi @Worshiper

Unfortunately it's not Red Moor or Dragon Wood.

This one is often called Millennium Wood. It's use in aquariums is debatable though since some people have no problems and some people end up with toxic swamps. The key seems to be soaking the wood for months to allow it to leach out whatever demons it's carrying.

Hi @Worshiper

Unfortunately it's not Red Moor or Dragon Wood.

This one is often called Millennium Wood. It's use in aquariums is debatable though since some people have no problems and some people end up with toxic swamps. The key seems to be soaking the wood for months to allow it to leach out whatever demons it's carrying.
Thanks Courtneybst! I will do a bit of reading on Millenium wood. I think one of the sponsors here on UKAPS also sells millenium wood so may be able to guide.
Will post what I learn as it may help someone else.

Just found another article on UKAPS when I googled Millenium wood.

To my (inexperienced) eyes it resembles grapevine bush. Is it possible? Sometimes used in my country, after months of soaking in water.

Hi all,
To my (inexperienced) eyes it resembles grapevine bush. Is it possible? Sometimes used in my country, after months of soaking in water.
It is definitely a vine (Liana), I don't think it is a Grape Vine (but I'm not entirely sure it isn't), but I think the problem is the same as if it was, it is soft, sap wood, not hard, heart wood.

It might be Vitaceae, but I'd guess <"Araliaceae"> (like Ivy (Hedera spp.) or most likely a <"Fig (Moraceae)">.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back