• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which would you rather have? large aquarium or large pond?

10 000gal tank or 10 000gal pond?

• 10 000gal tank

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • 10 000g pond

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • none

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
The tank for me too, then i could have a nice big colony of wild Frontosa cichlids, by far my fave fish!

not an awful lot you could really do with a 500g pond, 6'x6'x2', certainly not beig enough for koi
much rather have the tank! either reef or oddball/predator tank

As to pond size, my quarantine/growing on pond is about 500g. My pond is a small to medium koi pond at 3,500g!

At the moment I'd rather have a larger pond, but it'd have to be 10,000-12,000 gallons.

I'd love a large tank as well and would stock it either with a giant Tanganyikan set up (Neolamprologus etc.) or small to medium South American fish.

beeky said:
A large pond in a conservatory with steps leading down underneath....

But I'd have to employ staff to clean it!

Don't worry about that, one of the latest innovations in Koi filters (Bakki Showers) don't need any cleaning!!!! (Very expensive though!)

I'd stick with my nature pond. Don't know how many gallons it is but it's about 12 foot across and 4-5ft deep. It's in a part of the garden that is fenced off to provide a wildlife area - we just let the grass and weed grow. No fish in the pond, just native wildlife and plants. It's not even filtered - it just does it's own thing and is great as a result.

bugs said:
I'd stick with my nature pond. Don't know how many gallons it is but it's about 12 foot across and 4-5ft deep. It's in a part of the garden that is fenced off to provide a wildlife area - we just let the grass and weed grow. No fish in the pond, just native wildlife and plants. It's not even filtered - it just does it's own thing and is great as a result.

sounds interesting, can you get a pic?

Sure. I've probably got some old ones knocking about but I'll try and find some time tomorrow to take a new pic as it's looking especially good right now. Watch this space...

aaronnorth said:
bugs said:

sounds interesting, can you get a pic?

If this link works, it should take you to a Flickr slideshow...

I think I'd rather have a large aquarium although water changes would be a very expensive nightmare. For cleaning the tank I could invite the local scuba diving club round lol :D

I think I'd keep a massive shoal of tetras; stunning.

I'd have the pond, only so I could use it for a bit of fishing, it would be small enough to always catch something and wouldn't cost me the £12 plus day ticket for the pleasure! :D (and I'd know that there was something worthwhile in it to catch! ;) )

Back