• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White Cloud Minnows for a nano ?

hixy

I have a planted fluval flora nano tank,because i will be doing 50% water changes every week and cant pre heat the water i was thinking about White Cloud Minnows.The filter is an ehiem ecco pro 300.Would i be ok to keep them in such a small tank.If not do you know of any shrimp that will live in a cold water tank
cheers

Ive had them in a Fluval Ebi which is the same as the flora (not by choice) and even that was too small for them, they are too lively for small tanks. I also had them jumping out of the open top which was a problem. I put the lid on and they still jump through the gap between tank and glass lid.

Wouldnt recommend it.

Yeah they're pretty active little fish, I'd want a tank at least 45cm long I think, if not more.

Something like Elassoma evergladei or Dario dario or D. hysginon would work well if you can find them (will probably need live foods though), and only 1 male in a tank that size.

Hi Hixy,
there are a lot if shrimp species that are happy at room temperatures, some even prefer it cooler. They also are small enough for nano tanks and are very interesting to watch. Cherry shrimp are tough cookies and would be an excellent starter choice.
My CRShrimp nano tank has Crystal red shrimp without a heater at room temperature (21-22 degrees c) as they prefer it cooler, but they do have more demands regards water chemistry.
Cheerio
Ady

The Elassoma evergladei are a coldwater species so I think the tap water should be fine,they like it about 20°C. I kept them years ago and they are such a cracking little fish. They can be a bit tricky to feed but if you get a micro worm or grindal worm culture they should alright.

You'd need a group of 4 really, which is a fair extra bioload on a tank that size. Although not very active, they might struggle to find enough food for grazing in such a small tank.

There have been a few threads on here on fish suggestions for nanos - it might be worth having a browse. Personally I'd go with red cherry shrimp - they're pretty bulletproof, breed well, and look good!

You'd need a group of 4 really, which is a fair extra bioload on a tank that size. Although not very active, they might struggle to find enough food for grazing in such a small tank. There have been a few threads on here on fish suggestions for nanos - it might be worth having a browse. Personally I'd go with red cherry shrimp - they're pretty bulletproof, breed well, and look good!
I agree, also, there is an issue of an optimal temperature for the Otos - if your ambient temperature falls beyond 20 degrees at any time, you will be keeping them in the water far too cold (again, sudden fluctuation of temperature during the water changes should be avoided).

Back