• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

white cloudy water

naz

i have had my 260l tank up and running for about 4 months now, i was running it on 1 fluval 305 filt,but i decided to add another about a week ago, when i added the second filter i decided to renew the filter sponges in both the filters,witch now i think about it, was a bad idear doing them both a once,as i come home yesterday and notices that my tank was a white cloudy colour,until about 4to5 hours in to the lighting then it cleared i have read a cuple of posts on here and have found out it is diatom,some sort of algee,could someone point me in the right direction in to sorting it out...fert ie,co2 injected 4 bps,3 x 39w t5 lights for 8 hours....nitrate 25 ppm,phophat 2.0,gh80ppm,kh 80 ppm using 1/4 ro water to 3/4tap

White cloudy water could also be a bacterial bloom.
As you said it was a bad idea to change the sponges in your mature filter.
Given that, it's prob a bacterial bloom and will clear on it's own.

Green water is a type of algae and can only be cured by water changes and a blackout, this does start out as a white cloud in the water but after a few days goes like pea soup.

Back