• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White deposit's in dropchecker

billy boy

Been noticing this last couple of weeks there has been white deposit's/scum around the bottom of my dropchecker,

But today when i changed the solution there was a deposit in dropchecker chamber :?

Anybody have any ideas what the deposits are and will it be affecting the reading?

BTW i'm using Aqua essentials all in one solution.

Cheers

Re: White deposits in drop checker

sussex_cichlids said:
any photos of it?

Is it on inside or outside of DC?

Do you keep any snails?

How often do you clean it and change fluid?

(1) Inside of the bottom where the air inside the dropchecker meets the water, And a small deposit in the chamber.

(2)Yes i keep snail's but it's not eggs!

(3)Every week at water change.

Cheers

Gary Nelson said:
It can sometimes be a build up of the film that appears on the water surface.... it can sometimes collect in the DC.
I did read that somewhere..... but i have no surface scum at all.

The dropchecker seems to be working ok, It's blue before the CO2 comes on and lime green when the lights come on :?

Was just curious to what it is and could it affect the reading at all, Which it doesn't seem to.

I am not sure then mate, but if you are getting change of color in the DC it sounds like the solution is working OK and I'd say you have nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

Hi

What look like white flakes :thumbup:

Its your ferts getting trapped within the DC - DONT worry about it - I some times suffer the same problem and I'm E.I.ing.

Its the nitrogen in the ferts crystalizing.

Regards
Paul

I always wondered what this was as i get it also.... now i know!

Because water inside the drop checker is not moving surface scum forms there, it will go away when tank matures, keep cleaning it if you want accurate readings (if there's such a thing with drop checkers :lol:)

Back