• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

white fluffy stuff ??

wick

Hi
Been out of the planted tank hobby for a while,but knew id come back to it one day (you know how it is :)
I have a heavy planted 20 gallon tank,i dose EI and have a simple hagen co2 thingie,which i make my own recipe.
I sit my co2 reactor on my light boxes and it heats it up and the co2 goes full pelt,for a few days(this is ok for me,i dont mind changin the contents every 3 days)
Thing is,on my bubble ladder,where the bubbles first come out of the air line tube,im getting a build up of white stuff(looks lik cotton wool)
this happens like within 1 day of it being cleaned and its slowing the flow down a bit
Any one know what this is and could it be dangerous to fish
thanks for any help

Add bicarbonate of soda to your mix, this will stop the frothing. Can't remember how much but search the web their are lots of recipes for diy co2 about.

I do add bi carb
This isnt a frothing or a spill out,the mix is stable.....just a white misty area on the bottom rung of the co2 ladder

Try adding a bubble counter, the water will filter the co2 before it gets to the tank. these can easily be made from a pop bottle

Yeh it's very common with yeast type co2, especially if you DIY the mixture. It wont harm the fish, it just look unsightly. I didnt find bicarb helped to be honest. The best solution is to add a bubble counter as Milla suggested. That way the white fluff grows it that and not in the tank. It also means the diffuser doesn't get clogged up which can stop it working efficiently.

Sam

Back