White growth on wood and plants

Josh0308

I have recently set up a new tank, and my first aquascape. The tank has been running for about a week now and the wood has got a coating of cloudy white stuff (for want of another word to call it). It’s also starting to cover some plants that are attached to the wood, but wondered is this normal or is it the beginning of problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kezzab

Hi, its normal to have fungal bloom as you describe. Syphon/toothbrush it off or just leave it and it will disappear of its own accord in a bit. Some find amano shrimp eat it. Its harmless.
K

Neil M

Just come out thé other side of this fungus/ sap took about 3 weeks to clear, my amano shrimp didn't really touch it, as gas been said Syphon it off or use an old toothbrush, some tends to come back but eventually it all stays away.

Josh0308

I have managed to syphon some off during water changes. I also got some amano shrimp and some cherry’s and neither have touched it, they just keep eating the moss cotton I’ve used to tie the epiphytes to the wood! Keep coming down to floating plants which is getting a bit tedious, any ideas how long it takes them to grab ahold?