• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

white slime on redmoor new photo , this is extreme !

plantnoob

started to hardscape my tank a couple of days ago . i got a nice piece of redmoor off ebay , boiled it for a good hour , and put it in the tank . now the wood and some of the substrate has white fungus/algae on it , and there seems to be a small amount floating in the water column too . no lights used on the tank at the moment . should i just be scrubbing and re- boiling the wood and doing water changes to get rid , or is it something more sinister ? its even on the front glass :banghead:

Nothing to worry about, its quite normal and will disappear after a couple of weeks. Amano shrimp sometimes eat it. You can take it out and wash it off if it bothers you though :)

It doesn't normally attach to substrate and wood. Stick a pic up mark, as above, if it is from the redmoor, don't worry. If its anything else we might be able to advise.

That's pretty common, I would normally just go over it with a syphon at water changes. It'll soon disappear.

cheers ian , just struck me as odd that its on the glass and substrate too . think il take it out and boil it some more and syphon it off the substrate with a big w/c

so would you reccomend just scrubbing and waterchanges to get rid of it ?

I would just let it take it's course, and on water change, run the syphon up and down the wood.

its getting horrendously bad now . another scrub and waterchange tomorrow to try and get it down a bit .

have taken it out and its now soaking in a bucket . this stuff is more like thick snotty slime . its made an awful mess in my tank , the stuff is everywhere , all in the substrate , the water colum , everywhere ! ive had redmoor before and it grew a little bit of whit fuzz for a week or so , but nothing even remotely like this . now im ready and desperate to order the plants ive just chosen and ive got a disaster area of a tank to sort out 1st , especially as i want to tie moss to the wood . when i get in from work tomorrow im going to do a 100% waterchange , i have also ordered some purigen which hopefuly i should have tomorrow . with it all getting everywhere in the substrate , should i take that out and clean it too ? surely this is beyond what is normal for new redmoor ? btw it is even worse than it looks in the photo :banghead:

8655511510_f453739ffc_c.jpg
10859_362624553847672_1937615656_n by mark pettican, on Flickr

Did you boil your wood again? I would just keep scrubbing it & do about 3-4 100% water change in one day for 2-3 days & see it from there. I mean it has to stop oozing at some point. That happened in one of my tanks before once. It was a little prep nano that I had with moss tied to it and I was using that tank as a transit tank for converting some emmersed e.tennellus to their submersed state. Don't let it get to you Mark. Just use a small water painting brush ( that kids use to paint pictures in the kindergarden) & just swirl it around the whole thing. It should attach. Keep removing it that way. Do the several repeated 100% Wcs & in a few days it should be good. Try not to boil the wood.

no , i resisted boiling again .at the moment its soaking in a bucket in the bathroom . regime with the wood at the moment is twice a day , take it out rinse it off under the shower and then fresh water in the bucket and soak some more . am just re-filling after doing a 100% waterchange and i have cleaned out the filter whilst i was at it and added a bag of purigen . 1 thing i have seen doing this , is that when new , aquasoil is seriously messy ! the media was literally jet black and caked in black crap . what i was worried about is that it would be harmful/detrimental to the tank , but from what i have since read it seems its a natural unavoidable by product of the wood curing and whilst unsightly isnt harmful . i just worry that if i try and tie moss on before it stops that it will get chocked by the slime . i will keep plugging away with the wood and get it where it needs to be . but then i guess the odd panick over nothing is to be expected when you step out of your comfort zone , give me a tank full of discus to look after any day :) . still all this will make the end product that bit more satisfying​

no , i resisted boiling again .at the moment its soaking in a bucket in the bathroom . regime with the wood at the moment is twice a day , take it out rinse it off under the shower and then fresh water in the bucket and soak some more . am just re-filling after doing a 100% waterchange and i have cleaned out the filter whilst i was at it and added a bag of purigen . 1 thing i have seen doing this , is that when new , aquasoil is seriously messy ! the media was literally jet black and caked in black crap . what i was worried about is that it would be harmful/detrimental to the tank , but from what i have since read it seems its a natural unavoidable by product of the wood curing and whilst unsightly isnt harmful . i just worry that if i try and tie moss on before it stops that it will get chocked by the slime . i will keep plugging away with the wood and get it where it needs to be . but then i guess the odd panick over nothing is to be expected when you step out of your comfort zone , give me a tank full of discus to look after any day :) . still all this will make the end product that bit more satisfying​
I have suffered this a couple times with new redmoor but it is harmless I have seen guppys eating it happily and snails. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to clear up and die off at which point I just scrubbed off any dead leftovers and it has never returned :)
PS mine looked a lot worse than your pics at one stage

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

would you say i can just go ahead and plant the tank out and just wait until the slime has done its thing , then attatch moss to the wood ?

Well if it was me I would do what you are currently doing mate and keep at it for another week just to make things neat. Once the slime has reduced considerably i would start planting because as you say the aquasoil is probably leecing too much ammonia at this point for it to be safe for your cleaning crew.

Back