• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White spot on the back

csuvi

Introduced 2 male and 4 female guppies to the aquarium yesterday (182 liters, zebra danios, cardinal tetras, a few corys, heavily planted). They all seemed very lethargic, not moving too much but were actually eating some bloodworm. I thought it all just might be stress related, but overnight one of the males died, and this afternoon i noticed a white spot on the back of one of the females. See picture (sorry its not great quality). Any suggestions on what to do?

Attachments

• guppy.jpg
    guppy.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 203
3 of the guppies have died now, and i am not sure what to do. the other 3 are eating but other than that not doing too much. they do not have that white spot, but are very lethargic, just staying very close to the top. if i had a spare tank, i would quarantine them, but i don't. i am worried that their condition might affect the other fish as well, who by the way are doing great at the moment. should i just get rid of the guppies? i don't want to, but i am concerned about the others (cardinals, zebras, corys and plecos).

did the water checks, everything seems to be fine. temperature is 23C.

All of your fish have been exposed to whatever your Guppies have already. Getting rid of them now won't stop the spread. If you feel they are suffering you should consider euthanasia with clove oil, but it won't save your other fish if they end up getting whatever it is (they might not, if their immune systems are strong). I'm sorry I can't tell you specifically what it is or how to treat it-- the photo you posted is quite blurry- but I suspect fungal infection. Can't be more specific than that without a better picture.

thanks for your reply lilirose. i have attached another picture. i don't see any more white spots, but the color seem to be fading.... if its indeed fungus, what kind of treatment would you suggest?
as i wasn't sure i treated the tank with Esha products (2000 and exit).

Attachments

• guppy1.jpg
    guppy1.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 141
unfortunately they are definitely not improving, in fact its actually getting worse. i will wait another day, and if nothing changes i think i will get rid of them :(

If it was just the one guppy but it seems you have a common problem guppys from fish farms imported by the shed load tend to be weak fish. Shame most retailers wont buy from a local guppy keeper.

what can i say. 2 more died overnight, so that's it :(

If it was just the one guppy but it seems you have a common problem guppys from fish farms imported by the shed load tend to be weak fish. Shame most retailers wont buy from a local guppy keeper.

i like guppies, used to have them in the past, and i would consider buying them again. so what do you guys think, where would be a good place to buy fish that are healthy?

Yeh Iagree if you like guppys take your time l understand there is a good guppy community you could try to locate a local fish club or become a member of the guppy societies which are on the internet

I'd have a look on ebay or Band and find a breeder in the UK but I wouldn't add anything to that tank for a few weeks now.
no, of course not. i am also very worried about the other fish, but so far they are all doing good. fingers crossed.

so will take it easy, and do my research as you guys suggested. thanks for your help!

Back