• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

white spot

The appearance of more white spots getting worse is quite normal. The white spots are cysts in the skin that develop under the skin and then appear when mature - treatments won't affect these. The treatments will kill the free-swimming parasites and not the cyst stages so you need to keep up the treatment so you kill every one once they return to the free-swimming stage.

Have you increased the temperature which ups the speed of the life cycle and ensures that the free-swimming stages arrive sooner? This will help with the treatment.

hellohefalump said:
things are much better today :) most of the spots have gone now on all the fish, and the seven fry are still ok.

Good news. Hopefully all will be well from now on. Just do keep up the course of treatments even after the spots have gone!

Does anyone know when I can do a water change? It's been a week now, and I'm getting the usual pre water change algae on the front glass. It's worse than usual, but that might be due to me feeding the fish a bit more this week (I was making sure the fry got enough food, and the other fish weren't hungry and ate them).

Today I spotted two spots on one fish. The rest of the fish seem clear - so a vast improvement. I'm dosing meds every 2 days, like it says to. And it says to keep on dosing for 48 hours after the spots disappear. So if I do a dose tommorow and then in two days time, I reckon that'll be ok.

Do your water change just before dosing again. I'd carry on for a couple more days rather than just two, just to be on the safe side. Slowly drop the temperature after a further two days, but I'd go down a degree or two a day just to be extra-careful.

Thanks Ed,

There is still ONE spot on one of the tetras (there were two yesterday). No other spots to be seen anywhere, and those fish who had clamped fins, have now unclamped them.

So I'm getting rid of this one stubborn spot!

I will do my water change tommorow morning, then dose. Clean water might do them a world of good aswell... Thanks for the advice.

Sorry to hear that Steve :(

I have been away in a stress for a while, so it was wierd to see my topic was still near the top!

I haven't had any white spot reoccurance. I would throughly recommend the Esha stuff. Things are going quite well here. Although none of my Krib fry survived, the parents look ready to have more babies any time now. My cherry shrimp also had loads of babies.

Back