White Spots

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by SunnyP, 5 Oct 2009.

1. SunnyP

SunnyP Member

I have just found white spots all over the bogwood in my tank today. Not sure what they are exactly but I have seen an increasing number of snails on the glass over the last week. I have a pic to show what the white spots look like.

IMG_0282.jpg

Any suggestions on what these white spots are would be greatly appreciated.

2. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

Nerite snail eggs?

3. Superman

Superman Member

Thats what they look like, although mine never hatched as I believe they need a bit of salt in the water.

4. SunnyP

SunnyP Member

Sorry for the late reply. Cheers for the info on the white spots.

I found more are appearing and the loaches are failing to their daily chores. I have added a pic of the snails appearing. It is on the end of the thermometer.

IMG_0304.jpg

5. enviroman

enviroman Member

They look like nerite snail eggs to me too , but the snail in the picture looks like a type of ramshorn to me.
    Here is a pciture of a zebra nerite, I had lots of white eggs in my tank after I added three of them.
    [​IMG]

6. SunnyP

SunnyP Member

I haven't seen any nerite snails wandering about just ramshorn snails. Most of the ones i have seen are small newly hatched ramshorns ( the shell is still quite soft and colours have not fully pigmented).

Not seeing a huge increase at the moment. Just the same ones wandering about.

7. Superman

Superman Member

I have a problem with ramshorn snails myself, I go hunting twice a day (once in the morning and on an evening) to try and get rid of them. It's difficult to get rid and I've not managed it myself.