• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White water after big waterchange

Konsa

Hi all
From time to time keep getting white water after big 70 ish% waterchange that clears after 24h.I am using the Api declorinator.And the tanks are over an year old.
Any thoughts on that?
Regards Konsa

Sounds like it maybe a water supply issue. When it happens again fill up a glass bowl to see if that's cloudy as well. If it's not at least you can eliminate that as a cause, and look to other potential issues like bacterial bloom or sediment disturbance etc.

Hi
The running clear from the tap and it actually is mostly clear when I finish the waterchange and gets white as it sits in tank over a period of couple of hours.I am not touching the filters only changing the prefilter sponges with clean ones.
The other strange thing is that from 4 tanks waterchanged only get it in 2 of them.The most mature ones.
Regards Konsa

Hi
Thanks for the quick advice.
That may be it as not matching temperature and usually putting colder water in.
Regards Konsa

How much does tank water temperature drop?

This may also be some precipitate forming, then dissipating, especially if harder water & EI dosing (re excess vs minimal levels of additives)

If Green Water you'll generally notice the haze more as the week progresses - try placing a (very) fine weave white net - also a blue or green one- in the tank after water change & see what collects
Precipitates will be more visible on the dark nets, green water even when it looks more white in tank generally shows a faint green on the white net

Hi all,
From time to time keep getting white water after big 70 ish% waterchange that clears after 24h.
That may be it as not matching temperature and usually putting colder water in
especially if harder water
Is your tap water really hard? If it is? @alto is right, and it is the water warming and losing CO2. Calcium carbonate solubility is dependent upon dissolved CO2, less CO2 means less Ca++ and 2HCO3- ions can remain in solution, and they precipitate out as "chalk".

cheers Darrel

Hi
my water is moderately hard.Temp swings maximum about 2-3 degrees C lower than what I keep the tank.For a long time I use my hand to match temps and Im pretty good at it.I do turn filters off sometimes 40-60 min during waterchange If I need to fiddle too much with the plants and stuff .
It looks like filling up the tank for first time sometimes and clears overnight.
Haven't seen any ill effects on plants and critters.They seem happy but Im just curious.
Regards Konsai

Back