• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who doses what?

What do you dose?

• ADA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EI

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • PMDD

• TPN+ exclusively

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Off the shelf All-In-One

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other, please state and i'll update the poll if necessary

• Total voters

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Here's a poll to try and figure out what is the most common method of fert dosing.
There is no need to say why you dose a particular way really i just want the numbers.
There are probably some other popular techniques so just let me know and i'll add them to the poll.
Some of you may mix X technique with Y technique so just try and vote for what you think is most appropriate.
Thanks for your votes.

I does EI, I'd consider an all in one though, once I've got my algae problem gone that is.

I'll go with other, as my tank has a high stocking of fish so I don't dose anything atm...

I would dose Tropica plant nutrition+ but cannot find it anywhere... Grrrr...

Card carrying member of the EI Taliban, ergo the following credos;

1. Thou shalt dose frequently.
2. Thou shalt not accuse phosphates of causing algae.
3. Thou shalt deliver unto the rubbish tip thine nitrate test kit.

dose trace elements daily - Red Sea Flora 24
tropica Nutrition at w/c (once a week)
Potassium Carbonate solution at w/c in Brighty K doses
Large Excel dose at w/c
Sometimes add extra iron at w/c time
No N and P as i have a relatively large fish load and feed regularly.
I am going to count CO2 as fert and say 3bps via glass ceramic diffuser delivered from 5Kg FE on 24/7 with solenoid as power cut backup.

A sort of modified EI i guess...?

For the past year I have been using a mixture of dry and liquid. I purchased a gram scale (on ebay cheap) to measure the right amounts of dry ferts needed for my tank, don't think the table spoon method to be reliable, I have about 6 or 7 diferent table spoons :p

For my Juwel Rio 125 I dose the following:

Dry:
KN03 (Potassium Nitrate) 1.4gm 3x a week
KH2P04 (Mono Potassium Phosphate) 0.3gm 3x a week
K2S04 (Potassium Sulfate) 0.4gm 3x a week

Liquid:
Tropica Plant Nutrition - 5ml 3x a week
Kent Botanica Fe - 10 drops 3x a week

50% weekly water change

I do water changes on Saturdays and on that day I don't dose anything.
I dose the dry ferts on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Then donse liquid ferts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Its been working for me so far and algae as not ever been a problem. I get the odd spot on the glass which gets cleaned when I do water changes.

Hummm.......how do you answer multiple methods? :idea:

I think most everyone changes and manipulates things till they realize it's not quite as critical as they think.
Later, they realize light and CO2 are likely the reasons.

I do not dose a thing to a non CO2 planted tank..........other non CO2 tanks without sediment based ferts, I do, but only once every week and certainly at pretty lean levels. But the plants respond well, because CO2/light are limiting, thus growth demand is very low in such tanks.

Other tanks, say at the opposite end, can be driven fast using daily dosing, sediment ferts as well, and high light/high CO2.

Obviously, there are middle ranges of dosing and CO2/light as well.

Keeping these variations in mind can help you see why a so called confounding example works or fails when you try it.

I see folks post about how little they add and things work well, likewise a certain person also used PO4/NO3 remover and had very rich sediment mud. While another had very rich water column dosing. Both worked well.

Why?

Both methods supplied enough nutrients for the CO2/light demands.
However, some assume that one method is "better" as it controls for algae, that's not true.

Algae generally drives folks to try different things with methods, then plant health is next.
I'd suggest plant health as a focus.

Give nutrient routines a fair test also, do not assume that you have good CO2 and light, plant species etc.
Make sure you do before drawing any conclusions.

Otherwise you run into many issues and make bad assumptions.
If you test, test carefully!

Overall, I think a combination of both methods in the water column and in the sediment works best(easy and forgiving) for CO2 enriched systems. Non CO2 system can have any of the 3 combinations and still does pretty well.

Also, be sure to be as critical about fish waste and fish N and P additions as you are about KNO3 measure.
There are methods to measure this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back