• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who has a motorbike?

I never want to fall off, or be crashed into. Thats my greatest fear. I can do my best to ride safe and get home in one piece but you never know. I saw a 17 year old lad killed instantly on a 125 on a country road in the lakes. Shuck me up like nothing before. Ive though about selling mine since, but then I love the feeling it gives me.

Love them, but fear them. Perhaps thats the right way to look at them.

Very sensible advice Graeme - I walk with a limp & have limited movement in my left wrist!

I had one big spill in about 1978 aged 18, I was ridding an S2 350 kawi two stroke triple.
These bikes were absolutely mental death traps, about 45hp lightweight & useless drum brakes = disaster :thumbdown:
I was drunk, ridding home chasing some other bike through the tiny lanes around our way, just about as irresponsible & stupid as it gets!!
Anyway I clipped a hedge & flew off the bike at around 70mph, the amazing thing was I walked about 1/4 mile home & went to bed.
It was a few hours later when I woke up in screaming pain & it became evident I needed an ambulance :?

My best mate was killed at 18 in August riding pillion on her boyfriends bike. Car pulled out and stopped on a blind bend, he hit it at 50 making her airborn. Died on impact with a rock. Shook me up big time. I wanted to sell up but nah, she loved bikes, died what she loves doing so carried on. Just gotta be ultra vigilant of everything around you

Bikes are a great way to get around, just got to watch out for all the other idiots. Believe It or not a muppet pulled out on me Friday morning on a small roundabout. luckily me and the bike are both bike ugly lumps and I was only going 5mph. my panniers took all the impact. Hopefully his insurance will pay for new ones. First time any things hit me in years thousands and thousands of miles in all weather's so it is rare and shouldn't put people of. I think once you've ridden a bike takes a huge off to stop you riding.

si-man said:
My best mate was killed at 18 in August riding pillion on her boyfriends bike. Car pulled out and stopped on a blind bend, he hit it at 50 making her airborn. Died on impact with a rock. Shook me up big time. I wanted to sell up but nah, she loved bikes, died what she loves doing so carried on. Just gotta be ultra vigilant of everything around you

Jeez, its story's like that, that freak me out and so sad too. My misses likes being on the bike. Im not sure I could cope if I lost her while out on the bike, horrible thought.

When it goes wrong it goes very wrong....

I thought of trading it in and saving for a camper van. That way I get to tour the country and feel I got something in return.

On an open road riding sweet roads with nothing but sheep and trees to keep your company is a great feeling... nothing like it.

Ooh yay there's a motorbike thread! :D

Here's my baby;

Christie3.jpg

2009 Kawasaki ZXR 600. Green, of course!

And this is us being scared something-less on the nurburgring :D

ring.jpg

Love her to pieces, sadly some other sod decided he liked her too and this one was stolen in 2010, but I did replace her with another ninja exactly the same. Same year, same mileage, everything! Quite scary! I checked the frame numbers, not the same bike! Don't know what I'd have done if it was!

Agree totally on when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong :( I joined the IAM when I first got on a sportsbike to try to avoid things going wrong, can't recommend it enough as a good way to stay upright! There's always other nutters out there, but the training was so helpful in giving you tips on how to avoid the other nutters. It's not for everyone, but I reckon it did me a lot of good :)

Love the aprilia :). I reckon no matter how old you are, as soon as you get on an rs125 you are 17 again! They are such fun little bikes. Never owned one myself, got my ninja now and I love that too much to ever have anything else, but I scrounged one off a friend for whole a week once and had a ton of fun playing with it :D For a 125, they can't half move if you want them to!

Christie_ZXR said:
Love the aprilia :). I reckon no matter how old you are, as soon as you get on an rs125 you are 17 again! They are such fun little bikes. Never owned one myself, got my ninja now and I love that too much to ever have anything else, but I scrounged one off a friend for whole a week once and had a ton of fun playing with it :D For a 125, they can't half move if you want them to!

I had the aprilia tuned to the nuts kept going throw engine every few months £850 pound for rebuild were getting expensive. Best fun ever had on 125 they can do like 0-60 6.4 sec can be tuned to a top speed of 126mph i had 115 out of mine racing Mitsubishi Evo from rolling start to 115 whipped it till i thought best easy up don't throw another engine down the road

Also had an Original Aprilia RS125 1995 Max Biaggi Chestfield Full Tuned Track Bike

As for the KTM that was just pure fun mad mad bike for the road use love the sound this made could here it about 3/4 mile away it was loud

Great looking bikes guys I am thinking of doing my CBT this year then next year or so do the full license.

Haha! I'm 5ft2, I don't think they make a ktm I can reach the ground on! lol. The one time I rode a crosser it was a 125, and I had to be helped on and off!

Mike, do it! You won't regret it! Bikes are so much fun :) And to be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they change the test again before long to make it just a little bit dafter :( so it might be a good plan to get it done before they do, if they do.

Christie_ZXR said:
Haha! I'm 5ft2, I don't think they make a ktm I can reach the ground on! lol. The one time I rode a crosser it was a 125, and I had to be helped on and off!

Mike, do it! You won't regret it! Bikes are so much fun :) And to be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they change the test again before long to make it just a little bit dafter :( so it might be a good plan to get it done before they do, if they do.

Yeh I heard they are changing the test for the full bike in 2013 to make it much harder so will probably do it sometime before that happens, just want some experience on a 125 first

foxfish said:

:wideyed: :wideyed:

That is terrifying!!! Amazing, but terrifying!!

When it snows, my ninja hides it the garage cowering under a bike cover! :lol: Can't imagine being brave enough to do something like that!

Experience on a 125 is so sensible :) I did 6 months on my little 125 cruiser before I did my test. Then I ended up on a VFR400, and it all changed! Not ridden a cruiser since!! :lol: Friend of mines just bought a VFR and I'm dying to have a go on it for nostalgia's sake! But irritatingly my current insurance company won't give me rider policy due to my age, which strikes me as a bit daft, since I've always had rider policy before.

What sort of 125 or big bikes have you been looking at?

I tend to disagree slightly on the "get experiance on a small bike first" standpoint.

OK, If you cant trust yourself to remain restrained, then yes... a small bike will teach you to respect your own vulnerability. However, if you are tempted by a 125 because a big bike might be too much to control, or you arent sure if you will feel safe enough to try a big bike, then IMO bite the bullet and do an intesive course. Even nif you have to ride a restricted big bike as a result of legeslation.

Big bikes are always safer than small bikes. They have better ability to stop, turn and accellerate, all great tools you can use to get you out of trouble.

If your reasoning for a small bike is that you cant go as fast.. than maybe a bike is not the best form of transport for you. YOU alone are in control of the speed... big bikes can go slow too y'know.

Still fighting liability for my accident I had in August last year... grrrr! At this rate it will be summer again before I can get back on the road.

The reason for doing the 125 license first is a) to gain experience and b) cost as the intense course is somewhat over £500.

I knew a bloke who must have been 17 stone his mum said " no son you must learn on a 125, big bikes are dangers" ever time he left the works car park up hill on to a 40 mph road.. well that was scary. Luckily he survived and got a 600.

We have different rules in Guernsey ( where I live) & at 14 I had my first bike, a Suzuki TS 90.

You were allowed any bike up to 100cc, Yam 100 twins were popular but the Suzuki GP 100 was the fastest at about 75mph

Next jump up was when you reached 16 & then you could ride any two wheeled vehicle, I bought a Suzuki ram air 250 but some of my mates learnt on 900s or even 1000cc machines as their fist ever bike!
I couldn't say how many bikes I have owned, 15 - 20 I would guesse.

cheebs said:
I tend to disagree slightly on the "get experiance on a small bike first" standpoint.

I defo see your point, but what about little bikes being more forgiving? (Maybe not as applicable to rs125s! lol.) But something like a cg125 isn't as likely to chuck you off if you muck up your gearchanges, or throttle control or even braking as something like my ninja is. Muck up your clutch control on that and she will chuck you off! :lol: I agree, you can't get out of the way as fast, and its a good safety net to be able to. But on the flip side, it means you've got to learn how to avoid getting into situations where you'd need to get out of the way fast.

Tbh, I think it depends entirely on who's riding and how good they are with the basics. Someone who's got the hang of the controls straight away would probs be fine on an intensive. Someone who hasn't probably wouldn't.

Plus the intensives can be silly money!! My test cost me a whopping 50 odd quid plus £20 for the theory. Didn't half wind me up when I did my car test recently, I had to do another theory! And it was £35. And I'm now limited to a total of 6 points again :twisted: (Not that I've got any! But that's irrelevant. It's the principle!)

Back