• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who lives in a tank like this?

DTM61

Hi all,

Interested in how we choose our inhabitants. I'd like to think something would be naturally happy here and I'd like your opinions on what. My water is very soft, kh is unreadable, as is pH on my test kit, gh ~3. Excuse the crushed coral, it's my first attempt at balancing something I'm not sure needs balancing if something would be happy here anyway.

My question is :
What fish and / or inverts would be happy here? Surely something would, but your help and expertise finding it / them, would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

20210109_213735.jpg

Unreadable ph sounds to me like your test needs to be replaced:) what temperature and size is your tank?

I thought the same but it's more yellow than 6 from the tank and it's 7.5 from the tap. 22c & 35 litres mate 👍

For a tank that size And the soft water I’d recommend boraras with maybe some caridina shrimp alongside them. Due to the size of the tank you are quite limited for options. A Betta would also be a good option if you wanted something with more ‘personality’.

cheers

Chilli rasboras or clown killis are on the list. Neos aren't happy here unfortunately, but I've heard crystals are better suited to lower hardness? Not interested in the betta to be honest, I'd rather a pair of killifish or something that could behave in a more natural way even in such confines.

Both are good options to be fair and yes cardinia such as crystal reds rather than neocaridina should be fine in there with the lower hardness. You could go with some of the amphyosemion killifish which will give you colour and personality. I don’t have much experience with these but I believe some of the smaller species like striatum could be suitable.

cheers

I'm also in West Yorkshire and have what sounds to be the same water. Pretty much all the general community stuff is fine with it from my research, barring maybe live bearers but I imagine they're also fine depending where you get them. We have neighbours with mollies and they don't add minerals.

We've also got one tank with neocaridina and one tank with red crystal shrimp and amanos. No visible deaths so far and it has been a few months.

Hi, any of the smaller Aphyosemion species would be happy in the conditions and it depends if your tank is covered or not. Always better to have 2 pairs, both in case you lose one and better display behaviour. I have a couple of tanks just with excess males and the sparring displays are superb.
If you are still interested when the restrictions are eased I can let you have something. I live north side of Manchester so we could meet half way.
Cheers
John

Back