• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why don't my cherries breed?

Luketendo

I bought like 15 or something cherries for my 30L tank like August last year, I think for some reason I only have like half left.

However, I am extremely confused as to why they won't breed, they don't even look pregnant! I've got some paler ones, some strong red ones and a couple with like a pinky stripe down their back.

The tank they live in is literally overgrown with moss!

The fish in there are like 8 Green Neons, 6 Ottos and 1 Panda Cory. I know it's heavily stocked but people on here thought it was alright and it seems to be just that.

Just wondering if there's any reason I don't have like 1 million cherry shrimps in my tank.

Try adding an indian almond leaf. Often does wonders in getting them and some fish species to breed.

James

I will start this by saying I am not a shrimp expert!...

It could be that the are all the same sex.
Many LFS only sell female cherries (or so I have heard).

a1Matt said:
I will start this by saying I am not a shrimp expert!...

It could be that the are all the same sex.
Many LFS only sell female cherries (or so I have heard).

Or that or the shrimplets are getting eatten by the fish, if you want to breed shrimp I wouldn't recommend keeping them with any fish. I had 4 two month old Rainbow fry that started eating all my newborn shrimplets. I thought they were too small to eat them but I was wrong. Puzzled me why suddenly I saw no newborn tiny ones in my tank even though there were always female cherries carrying eggs. ;)

I'd put money on your shrimp being all females. I spent loads of money getting cherry shrimp and got nothing, before learning how to sex them and discovering all the shops were selling only females. I found a breeder and got a few males and a few weeks later I had loads with eggs.

If you want I could send you a few males? just to make sure?

Sam

Ok sounds like a plan, how much do you want for them?

I do think a lot of them have that yellow plate thing, but do males not have one at all or what?

Luke, I'm not after much, just cover postage :)

I sex based on body shape. Females are noticeably rounder in the body than males.

Here females on top, a male below. Even when not carrying eggs, the females are much rounder.

View attachment 134777

Sam

EDIT

Female without eggs

red_cherry.jpg

Well from your pictures I think I may have some of both, but I'll try adding yours anyway, since they actually have bred before.

Back