• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why "Drop checker"?

Why is a drop checker called a drop checker?

It measures the PH drop as co2 concentration increases, but wouldn't it be better to call it a co2 checker? That's what we're using it for, after all.

If we are to encourage more or to take up our hobby it would surely help if we used more obvious, descriptive names for the stuff we use, instead of jargon.

While I'm on the issue of unnecessarily obscure names, I'd like to suggest we change "Estimative index" to "Controlled overdosing", and "Lily pipe" to "French horn".

Only (half) kidding. 😉

Why is a drop checker called a drop checker?

It measures the PH drop as co2 concentration increases, but wouldn't it be better to call it a co2 checker? That's what we're using it for, after all.

If we are to encourage more or to take up our hobby it would surely help if we used more obvious, descriptive names for the stuff we use, instead of jargon.
As you say, the name likely comes from the fact that is measures the drop in PH.

Many of the aquatic companies don't use drop checker, but co2 indicator, or co2 tester.
While I'm on the issue of unnecessarily obscure names, I'd like to suggest we change "Estimative index" to "Controlled overdosing", and "Lily pipe" to "French horn".

Only (half) kidding. 😉

Agree on both lol

Hi all,
the name likely comes from the fact that is measures the drop in PH.
My guess as well.
I'd like to suggest we change "Estimative index" to "Controlled overdosing",
If you do that, I'll have to rename the "Duckweed Index" to "Uncontrolled under-dosing", or "the just watch your Frogbit Index", which sounds much less scientific.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I thought it was 'drop' because the ball part looks like a drop... or because you drop it in the tank and attach it there... or any reason other than pH drop because that just makes way too much sense. ;)
And I thought that it was because it randomly drops to the bottom when you go away after putting it in..

I don’t think it’s accurate to rename it a CO2 tester/checker either because the device doesn’t measure CO2 directly, but indirectly by proxy of Henry coefficient. It is more precise than the one pH drop target approach as the indicator solution is calibrated, pure and free of non-carbonic acids interference. So I propose to rename it Henry Coefficient Checker.

Direct CO2 gas meters are available to monitor indoor air quality or for use by green house operators. So instead of measuring CO2 by proxy of pH drop, one can design a device to extract and measure CO2 gas directly from water samples. If a practical one can be made, it can be legitimately called a CO2 tester/checker.

Last edited:
Back