Why is my Amazon Frogbit dying?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Will Ingram, 12 Jan 2010.

1. Will Ingram

Will Ingram Newly Registered

Hello,
    I had some Amazon friobit in my tank, it was under a TMC Grobeam under a condensation tray in medium-soft water with occassional Interpet 'Flora Boost' fertilising and growing well.
    I came from Chrimbo holidays and did a 50% water change, added some (quartz-like) black gravel and removed the ciondensation tray and fertilised the entire tank with Interpet Flora boost.
    The Amazon frogbit leaves started turning black and decaying in patches, and the roots turned rotten, why would this be? All my other plants seem ok,
    Will

2. daniel19831123

daniel19831123 Member

Amazon frogbit are very sensitive. I find that mine doesn't do well with lots of water turbulence. They don't like overshading as well. Plenty of space to grow with lots of current below the water surface is the best to grow them. High level of ammonia has also be reported to cause damage to the roots. Once you get these right, they are fairly easy to grow. I grow mine by the bucket and need to throw them on ebay every 3-4 days.

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Drips of condensation are thr biggest killer IME. Make sure your condensation tray is tilted so the condensation runs off rather than dripping onto the leaves.