• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why plant pots do not have a place in a fish tank.

zozo

I had an oto pass overnight in a similar fashion ☹ I just hope others can learn from my mistake!

In my garden Bathtub i have goldfish and early summer they like to splash and spawn in the shallow near the edge. I had a few jump out in the past. SInce than i always cover that side with a mesh about 20x20mm grit.. This Year i found a young frog, dead and dried out in a simmular way. Got stuck in the mesh.. :( I made pictures from it alive and well a few days before.. Next year i need to make it from acrylic panel. :)

In my garden Bathtub i have goldfish and early summer they like to splash and spawn in the shallow near the edge. I had a few jump out in the past. SInce than i always cover that side with a mesh about 20x20mm grit.. This Year i found a young frog, dead and dried out in a simmular way. Got stuck in the mesh.. :( I made pictures from it alive and well a few days before.. Next year i need to make it from acrylic panel. :)

Careful with acrylic it can raise the temperature of the water. I did a similar thing last year on my outdoor ceramic pond. I drilled loads of holes in it to allow evaporation and avoid heat accumulation but it didn’t stop the water from warming up quite a bit. I lost a lot of guppies and the goldfish were not so happy but recovered. Never used that acrilic panel again. Now me thinks if the fish just wants to jump then be it.

Careful with acrylic it can raise the temperature of the water. I did a similar thing last year on my outdoor ceramic pond. I drilled loads of holes in it to allow evaporation and avoid heat accumulation but it didn’t stop the water from warming up quite a bit. I lost a lot of guppies and the goldfish were not so happy but recovered. Never used that acrilic panel again. Now me thinks if the fish just wants to jump then be it.

In my case it was a vertical installed mesh as a fence about 10cm height.. Its there where its shallow and heavily planted. Each year the perfect spawning place for the gold fish. Sometimes get so excited they leap out the tub. The fence i made did the job for many years.. Only this year it was the first time a small frog caught in it and died. Not yet sure if i solve it next year with acrylic, might just uese a even smaler polyester fly mesh over the wire mesh. As long it doesn't happen again i'm happy. But it definitively needs a small fence during fish spawning periods. :)

It's not just plastic pots - once rescued a cory out the hole of a ceramic pot, and I know someone who lost a Betta who jammed itself in one of those shrimp tunnels.

You could look at floating anti-heron grids Marcel - they are a quite big spaced grid that float on top should keep fish underneath but let a frog etc. through.

You could look at floating anti-heron grids Marcel - they are a quite big spaced grid that float on top should keep fish underneath but let a frog etc. through.

That would not work, i solved it lik ethis for a few years. That little fence i made at the tubs right narow and shallow side hats planted with emersed plants.
dsc_0714-jpg.jpg

Early summer that side of the tub is the favorite spawning place for the goldfish in it. The fence prevents them from leaping out during their mating ritual. It never occured to me that this mesh could be a wildlife trap too, till i found a dead and dried out frog trapped in it. All i need to do is cover the mesh.. It's not on there permanently, only during the spawning periode, after that the leaping is over and i can take it away. :)

Back