• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why we clean media?

I'm aware of your sump, we have discussed it in my threat of my sump build..

Sorry, i didn't remember that...

I must also admit I have a rather low turnover, estimated 4x maybe... This might also have some positive effect on clog prevention. There are so many ways to construct and run sumps and run aquariums with it, all are different and need their own maintenance approach. It took me over a year to finally find a constant steady overflow concept. Before that i always had water level issues in the sump because of not properly and erratic functioning overflow design.

Sorry, i didn't remember that...
Ooh I thought you would remember all your 7379 posts :p..

I must also admit I have a rather low turnover, estimated 4x maybe... This might also have some positive effect on clog prevention.
Perhaps this is it, as my turnover is quite high.. I guess my tank is also pretty well stocked. I also have pretty thick layer of sponge so it catches alot of debris..

Indeed, a healthy aquarium actually has quite a pleasant smell.

I've asked visitors if there is something they smell at the time i had 4 open-top tanks in the house... 3 of them had emerged plant and moss growth... The answer was, some nothing and a few said it smells OK, like a walk in the forest. :D That was pleasant news, then if so myself also rather smells a forest than a Mothball smell from a fresh breeze cocoon... 😂

It is the oxygen that makes the difference, a few people have <"found this"> and been worried, but I look on <"complete oxidation as a good thing">.

cheers Darrel
True. Good gas exchange is the key to efficient biofiltration because nitrifying bacteria thrive on good oxygen supply. A huge amount of media is useless if it is clogged and not thoroughly oxygenated. This is why trickling filter is most efficient, and canister is not as it is closed to the atmosphere. But canister is the most commonly used filter in planted tanks for other reasons.

I must also admit I have a rather low turnover, estimated 4x maybe... This might also have some positive effect on clog prevention. There are so many ways to construct and run sumps and run aquariums with it, all are different and need their own maintenance approach. It took me over a year to finally find a constant steady overflow concept. Before that i always had water level issues in the sump because of not properly and erratic functioning overflow design.
A good filter does not require high turnover rate as long as it provides good gas exchange. High turn over rate will just clog up the filter faster without trapping fines more efficiently. But you need high turnover rate in the tank to distribute nutrients and CO2 which is not the same thing. I use low flow HOBs in my heavily stocked tank for biofiltration and high flow circulation pumps to achieve tank water turn over. I am unconventional in that I keep large cichlids with plants that is probably 100x heavier in bio load than average aquascape tank.

Attachments

• ED8B87AF-B2CB-41F8-A6A5-1B2C03DEC95F.jpeg
    ED8B87AF-B2CB-41F8-A6A5-1B2C03DEC95F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi all,
A huge amount of media is useless if it is clogged and not thoroughly oxygenated.
That really is the heart of the matter.

All you need to do is persuade other fish-keepers that plants and your advice are the answer. As you are a cichlid keeper you probably appreciate that you have to be a brave person to suggest that advice on some <"cichlid keeping forums">.

cheers Darrel

Back