• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wifi Bluetooth Google Home which plugs to get ??

Gill

So I love the Fluval App for my Lighting. So it got me thinking, I would like to be able to control certain plugs that are used for my tanks.
Now which plugs do people recommend. And also work with 5ghz. As i still can't figure out the 2.5ghz channel from my router. Sometimes it appears and othertimes not.
As It kept losing connection to the Twinkly App for the Christmas Tree at the top of the Stairs. And that ran at 2.5ghz.

I have these, and could not get them to connect. Will watch a few walkthrus and try again.

I believe these are the new updated version from TP-Link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wi...ords=TP-Link+Tapo&qid=1580114431&s=diy&sr=1-3

I have 6 of them currently, and they work really well. Super convenient for setting up, and manually turning on and off without having to dig around in the cupboard.

They set up initially by Blue-tooth, and as long as your phone is near them, it should find them. You then manually enter in your wifi details (for the first one only), and future connections are over wifi. You can even operate them (or check they are on) when away from home.

I believe these are the new updated version from TP-Link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wi...ords=TP-Link+Tapo&qid=1580114431&s=diy&sr=1-3

I have 6 of them currently, and they work really well. Super convenient for setting up, and manually turning on and off without having to dig around in the cupboard.

They set up initially by Blue-tooth, and as long as your phone is near them, it should find them. You then manually enter in your wifi details (for the first one only), and future connections are over wifi. You can even operate them (or check they are on) when away from home.

Cheers Wooki will have a look at these, and like that they don't block the other plugs off by being round. :thumbup:
I like these are sometimes I cant bed to turn things on and off. And bending freezes my back for minutes at a time, And can be very painful when straightening. So this will help immensely.

Most Wifi routers/modems contain a smart switch and have both 2.5 and 5 GHz activated. Then this means whatever device comes along it can connect. However, some smart WIFI modules build-in equipment only function on 2.5 GHz and for some reason do not connect even tho the router itself is smart. Then the smart app you like to connect simply says i cannot connect to 5GHz.

Then you can do only one thing, log into the router and dissable the 5GHz option. Then it will only function on 2.5 GHz. In most cases, you will not notice a huge difference with connected computers to the same router. The Wifi network adapters in the PC or mobile phones likely will function on both or simply are still 2.5GHZ.

I had the very same issue with the WIFI smart Light bulbs controlled with the Android MagicHOme Pro app on a friends router. The light bulbs only connect to 2.5GHz and cannot handle a switching router with both activated. Disable the 5GHz option in the router. You most likely do not need it and currently not using it.

I use these from teckin. Been using them for over 6 months. Great design and the app allows you to automate a lot of stuff based on different triggers. Did I mention it also works with Alexa!

TECKIN Smart Plug 13A WiFi Socket Works with Alexa Echo Google Home IFTTT, Timing Function Remote Control No Hub Required 4 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07STZ1V3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_agWnEbPSYT6QP

8218d01613d4f28d03fb1e69d2e8c784.jpg

Most Wifi routers/modems contain a smart switch and have both 2.5 and 5 GHz activated. Then this means whatever device comes along it can connect. However, some smart WIFI modules build-in equipment only function on 2.5 GHz and for some reason do not connect even tho the router itself is smart. Then the smart app you like to connect simply says i cannot connect to 5GHz.

Then you can do only one thing, log into the router and dissable the 5GHz option. Then it will only function on 2.5 GHz. In most cases, you will not notice a huge difference with connected computers to the same router. The Wifi network adapters in the PC or mobile phones likely will function on both or simply are still 2.5GHZ.

I had the very same issue with the WIFI smart Light bulbs controlled with the Android MagicHOme Pro app on a friends router. The light bulbs only connect to 2.5GHz and cannot handle a switching router with both activated. Disable the 5GHz option in the router. You most likely do not need it and currently not using it.

I agree but there is indeed a huge difference between 2.4 and 5Ghz network. The former has much higher range but lesser speed, which will allow the smart devices to be connected from distance and the later has much more speed advantage but has lesser range.

The speed difference will be felt immediately if you are going to be using multiple devices. Most of the modern routers have 2.4 Ghz disabled by default but can be activated rather easily.

For reference, my download speed on 2.4 Ghz is roughly 100 Mbps and on 5, it's roughly 500+.

Yes, obviously there is a difference for all devices that use it. It also requires the correct network adapter in the device that connects.
Most recent build PC, Notebook and mobile phone etc adapters do. And then it highly depends on how and for what does someone use these devices.

I have Wifi bulbs that run on this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zengge.wifi&hl=nl

Now I'm not sure if its the app or the Wifi module in the bulb. For me, they all connect without issues. So i actualy have no idea what Ghz connection i have at home. Had no reason to look it up.

But a friend lately bought 7 of these same bulbs and got the error "Can not connect to 5Ghz". Had to log into the router and disable the 5Ghz and all was OK. The way they use their internet connection they do not notice a difference. What they all do 2 adults and 2 kids are google a bit, receive e-mails and chat on WhatsApp. The biggest things they send and receive are a regular photograph from a mobile phone now and then.

I guess that is different for people using their Wifi connection to run a home network and streaming a lot of media over a Wireless NAS.

Back