• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wild Betta Spec - Betta Channoides

Lee Sweeting

Hi all, just thought i would start up a little journal for my Betta Channoides tank. The idea behind the tank was to set up a biotope (not accurate) type tank for a pair of betta channoides. I'm using pure RO water, which after the addition of a nice handful of beech, oak and alder cones gives me a nice low pH of 5.5 (the betta should love it), GH & KH are negligible. I've also added some microsorum and salvinia natans to help deal with any nitrates.

The tank is a Fluval spec (19L) with stock filter and lighting. The hardscape consists of Sumatran driftwood, baltic rock and silver sand.

photo_zps931f24ff.jpg

The Male
photo4_zps2942e905.jpg

The Female
photo3_zps517a7879.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures :)

Last edited:
Looks good, just not sure if the sand will pose troubles. Everything will stay on top of the sand, would it be a bit coarser i would suspect there would be some biodegradation in the substrate. Dou you have trumpet snails?

Really nice!

Keep the lid on though - it only a small leap to the toaster;)

Looks good, just not sure if the sand will pose troubles. Everything will stay on top of the sand, would it be a bit coarser i would suspect there would be some biodegradation in the substrate. Dou you have trumpet snails?

Hi Ed! I hadn't thought of that to be honest :confused:. I'm not to worried though, the tank is pretty small and should be easy enough to keep on top of. No trumpet snails either, i don't think they would do well in the tank, given the GH/KH.[DOUBLEPOST=1403254124][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really nice!

Keep the lid on though - it only a small leap to the toaster;)

Haha! Its well and truly sealed mate :)[DOUBLEPOST=1403254196][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looking great as always Lee! What's that black pipe thing?

Thanks James. The black piping is pond filter hose, just somewhere for the little guys to chill out :)[DOUBLEPOST=1403254649][/DOUBLEPOST]
Beautiful setup!

A dumb question... how often do you change water in this setup? And when you change it you cant match water parameters with such acidic water. Does the fish easily cope-up with that? Never kept a blackwater tank and I always wonder about it.

Hi Hamza! I change 10% of the water twice weekly. The replacement water is brought up to the correct temperature and added straight to the tank. I'm using pure RO, and only change small amounts of water at a time. The affects on pH, GH and KH will only be negligible, and shouldn't really affect the fish.

Last edited:
Hi all,
They could be "detritus worms", which are small annelid worms and eaten by the fish. I get a lot of them in the filter.

cheers Darrel

Any ideas where these come from Darrel? The tank has only been set up just over a week. The filter was mature, but everything else in the tank is new. There's defiantly no issues with cleaning/maintenance, as the tank hasn't been running long enough, and I'm pretty stringent with maintenance etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas where these come from Darrel? The tank has only been set up just over a week. The filter was mature, but everything else in the tank is new. There's defiantly no issues with cleaning/maintenance, as the tank hasn't been running long enough, and I'm pretty stringent with maintenance etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Lee, Sorry to butt in . Most of the time they come on plants;)

Back