• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wild caught trapdoor snails?

PotteryWalrus

So like, I've been going out since this lock down started on really early (like 3-4am) morning walks along my local canal with a net and bucket just to see what I dredge up. A couple of months ago there was a profusion of tadpoles which I decided to raise, and along with them came a relatively large 'pond snail' which I since have suspected to be an Asian trapdoor snail.

Unfortunately in transforming my tank from semi-terrestial to fully aquatic he seems to have passed away, and I'm thinking of going out in the next day or so to see if I can find any more in the same place. Firstly, what hitchhikers should I be cautious of in introducing wild caught inverts, and secondly, how common are these guys as an invasive species in the UK?

Hi all,
We have a relatively common native species of Trapdoor Snail <"Viviparus viviparus ">, apparently V. contectus is very similar and also widespread, but I've never knowingly seen one. They need high levels of oxygenation, so may not be that suitable for tropical aquariums.

I'm not aware of the Japanese Trapdoor Snail as an invasive species in the UK, but I wouldn't be that surprised.

cheers Darrel

Huh cool, I didn't know we had a native TS! I'll leave them well alone, then XD

Here's one I found earlier although I don't know which Viviparus :) P1030978.JPG

I'd be wary with wild snails. They can host an array of diseases and parasites/flukes. Most of them harmless to us but still.

Back