• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wild type scalare angels

Dacious

I am trying to source some fish for a friend of mine in the London area. Does anyone know where we could get some wild or F1, F2 etc angels? or even "Peruvian Altums"? We've been looking around for some but to no avail. If anyone knows of any or comes across and on their travels please let me know.

Cheers!

Peruvian altums are scalare so they'd be fine. One place to try would be Wholesale Tropicals. They're on Bethnal Green Road and they have a stock list on Tropical Fish Finder. Here it is! They don't list whether the angels they have are wild or captive bred, but the guy has lots of unusual cichlids and I'm sure will be able to help.

I believe that MA @ st. Albans have them, you may wanna ring and check though, i'm after some too.

Guys , we have been waiting months to no avail.

However they are seasonal and that , we beleive starts about now.

If we do manage to source any real Altums we will of course post the information here.

Thanks guys for the responses! I will try Bethnal Green to see if they have any. Dan, we did get some from St. Albans although they are not F1 or F2 but are none the less good quality. Trying to find good quality scalare angels is so hard these days as they are all inbred or manmade colour strains. I know the peruvian altums are not true altums so they can't be too much more than scalares in cost, but they are really pretty fish. No one around London seems to have any in which is a shame.

Dacious said:
Thanks guys for the responses! I will try Bethnal Green to see if they have any. Dan, we did get some from St. Albans although they are not F1 or F2 but are none the less good quality. Trying to find good quality scalare angels is so hard these days as they are all inbred or manmade colour strains. I know the peruvian altums are not true altums so they can't be too much more than scalares in cost, but they are really pretty fish. No one around London seems to have any in which is a shame.
Was in there last week and they didn't have any in stock, also they were not placing any new orders because the shop is going to close down for a week for repairs, and they didn't want risking loosing any high priced stock, reason they didn't have any Sulawesi or CRS shrimp for me!

Thanks LD for that.

O well that's one less avenue then. O if only we could import fish ourselves!

Dacious said:
Thanks LD for that.
O well that's one less avenue then. O if only we could import fish ourselves!
Might be worth giving them a call, since they will be ordering a lot of stuff when shop is repaired, they might be able to get them in ;)

I know there is a one at MA Peterborough (Crowland), he is from my tank a few months back, but i couldn't find any anywhere else so returned him. Shame really as he was a stunning fish. Ask for Kevan or Steve there if interested.

DSC00136.jpg

TDI-line said:
I know there is a one at MA Peterborough (Crowland), he is from my tank a few months back, but i couldn't find any anywhere else so returned him. Shame really as he was a stunning fish. Ask for Kevan or Steve there if interested.

Thanks for that, but it's a bit far for me to collect as petrol would be too much, shame though. Incidentally, just out of interest how much did you pick him up for?

Once again thanks for the help guys.

Dacious said:
TDI-line said:

Thanks for that, but it's a bit far for me to collect as petrol would be too much, shame though. Incidentally, just out of interest how much did you pick him up for?

Once again thanks for the help guys.

£15, and i think he is priced at that again.

MA @ Wembley have adults in at the moment. St. Albans had tiny ones about 3 weeks ago, same as Bethnal green.
The guys at Wholesale tropicals would surely order some up for you, they always happy to help.

Hi guys, as some of you know i'm good friends with Jeremy Gay and he was doing a visit to a angel breeder with over 300 species/varieties so i promptly told him to grab me something wildish. Well he never had any wilds as such but some lovely spotted silver angels so the nice chap (John) is sending me some on Monday. I'll be sure to show you all the quality and maybe you could approach him with your wishes, he sounds really helpful.

Just came back from Aquatic Design London and they had some awesome little angels @ under £20 all sold though.
Have to upload the pics I took, but I think they are wild peru scalares. Sure they could get some more before the end of the season.

jay said:
Just came back from Aquatic Design London and they had some awesome little angels @ under £20 all sold though.
Have to upload the pics I took, but I think they are wild peru scalares. Sure they could get some more before the end of the season.

Hi Jay,

Yeh I was there on Friday and they were Altum angels. They were in the basement but like you said they were all sold. But I did manage to get an order for some "Peruvian Altums" at the aquatic design centre so they should be in in a couple of weeks so I will let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks fella.
They were real nice, think they were as close to true Altums as I've ever seen in the flesh. Had that real tripod look to the underside of them... maybe Orinoco Angels.
Don't know If I'd just Aquatic Design store with them for long though. They're Discus are always poor. Should make sure they know to just drop them in some good soft water... don't bother dripping in the bag with angels. Also, collect them soon as you can.

jay said:
Thanks fella.
They were real nice, think they were as close to true Altums as I've ever seen in the flesh. Had that real tripod look to the underside of them... maybe Orinoco Angels.
Don't know If I'd just Aquatic Design store with them for long though. They're Discus are always poor. Should make sure they know to just drop them in some good soft water... don't bother dripping in the bag with angels. Also, collect them soon as you can.

Hi Jay,

Yeh they are the true Altum and they were £18.95 each not bad but they were fairly small and one or two were, I think, deformed in their body shape but then they were the smallest ones. I've been going there for years and they know me better than some of their customers. They told me that the altums were in the same water as their discus are in. The Peruvian altums i've ordered are coming in a few weeks, but they weren't sure whether they were wild or not, although they doubt that they are. I agree with you on their discus though, not sure why their discus are not at their best. But then again when I used to keep discus I used to get them from Chen's in Harrow which is only a few miles from me.

I spoke to St. Albans Maidenhead and they told me that they will be getting more of their angels in which come from the Czech Republic so they aren't wild ones. So hopefully, fingers crossed that would mean that I should have a nice shoal going in my four foot tank. Although I don't think that this will be planted hi-tech if at all as a three footer planted and a foot cube planted tank take up enough time as it is!

Know theres a lot of conjecture about Altums/wild scalare/peru altum and all that, but to be honest, I'm just looking for some nice, well formed, high bodied angels for my 4FT. The ones at ADC looked like they could grow to be real nice.

Bit weary of trying to get true wild Altums, read Heiko Bleher say that they almost always die in captivity, its the Orinoco Altums that are always seen in the Amano tanks with the grey panels down the body.

Hope you keep us posted when you get them. Sure they'll look awesome in a planted tank.. high or low tech... the fish will make it.

Well Jay if you are after some nice wild type angels then I think St Albans is the place to go for those but they are coming in small so you will have to grow them on. I will probably be going to get some when they are in so I can let you know if you want some, maybe if we bought them together we may even get them cheaper. The angels that are coming in at ADC I will have to wait and see what they turn out like as the guy I spoke to wasn't all too sure that they would be what the list says they will be.

Yeah would prefer smaller. If you're after larger "altums" head to MA@Wembley for a look. Some very nice looking fish there.
BIG!! really tall with that Altum 'beak'. How many you aiming to get for a 4FT tank?
If I go for them I was thinking 4-6. Not sure if they would enjoy the tank I'm getting, only 18in high. Not including substrate etc. Still need to do a lot more research before I can feel confident to step up from just admiring Altums. :)

Back